• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU will yield a better overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neet96

Hello, I am looking for a processor for my new computer.

I have been reading around on many sites and I keep hearing that the 1800 XP TBRED is a great overclocking chip.

I was wondering if there are any overclocking advantages in buying a 1900 XP chip? Any 1900 XP chip that I will be able to buy will most likely be a Palomino.

Which one would you recomend?

Also I have a few questions regarding the 1800 XP:

Is it already unlocked?

What are some speeds that people have reported thier 1800 chip running at?

Thanks for your input.

The

1900+ wont clock as much as the 1800+ TBred, if much at all. As far as I know, all of the 1800+'s are coming unlocked. I dont think the 1900+ is. The 1800+ I have seen people getting it to run 2gig and slightly more on good mobos with good air cooling. Good ram is important too.

Welcome to the forums!
KT400 based mother boards and the new Nforce2 boards allow for cpus such as the 1800 to have access to multis 12.5 and lower.The 1800+ is T-Bred A.You will need a T-Bred if you want access to the multis in the bios if you do not want to unlock the cpu by connecting the bridges.If you have KT333 base board you only need to connect the 5th bridge on the L3 to unlock the cpu if my memory servers me correctly.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What is the definition of good RAM. I know all RAM is not created equal but what criteria should I be looking for?

Thanks

CORSAIR XMS is the way to go.I have a CORSAIR MEMORY XMS 512MB 64MX64C2.5 PC-3200PT running at 333mhz.You can get the ram right here NewEgg

Dragon,

I have a 420 Watt Power Supply, (am getting a) Soyo KT400 Ultra Dragon motherboard and will be running a custom built water cooling setup on my system.

The dragon is a good board not the best but a good board non of the less.What is the make of the psu?

1 slight correction, you can get more then the 12.5 multiplier on a KT-400. I can get to 14, not 15 but then again I keep trying too high a FSB get 15 to work.
maybe later I will try 15x133 and see what happend

I have a Thoroughbred 1800 at the moment and I can say I love this little CPU. it's an amazing one, I now got it burning in at 13.5 by 166 and 1.9 volts.
but this is with sub zero cooling, so you shouldn't expect that.

but I have seen others that got to 2 ghz on air.
either way, you really can't go wrong with this CPU, it's a great one.

In response to your question Dragon_Engineer:

My psu is made by Turbolink.

i just had the same PSU die after 1 month of service in my moms computer. went out and bought her an antec truepower, it will
never happen again :D

i would suggest getting a better PSU like an ANTEC or ENERMAX
to go with your good system. it is what powers te PC after all.

Back