• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

56k racin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
back when i used to have dial up i could download at 5-6 kb/s and i had a collection of mp3's that equaled up to over a gig...

ThePerfectCore said:

Hey! Look! Someone that doesn't suck! :D

I'm like you, I'm almost completely out of space. I have about 1.4GB left on my storage partition, 5GB left on the 6GB slave drive, and 2GB left across the other two partitions.

Got room on the Storage partition for

-Two more movies
-About 340MP3s
or
-A two-disc Linux distro.

What to choose? :eek:

that's easy get another drive christmas is near that means SALES and get all the stuff :D

can you guys explain about the whole limit on your phone lines? (home wiring)

I've been thinking and I'm not so sure that it's a problem iwht muyISPs. Ive used netzero, juno and my curent isp and all I got was max 31.2 kbs connect speed

It may be a[roblem with home wiring (which I know wnothing about) or my modem

Well, my guess, is that depending on how close you are to the server for dial-up, the better the speeds.

Then after location, i guess it goes to home-wiring, wich i know jack squat about.

(lol, i wouldnt be surprised if the wiring for this house is ****......its like 50 years old :()

Frodo here we have real sucky phone lines so at times connecting speeds can be lame

1. Make sure that your computer is getting a direct line in, other extensions must be passed from you (i hope i am making some sense here)

2. Answering machines attached to line at times can cause some problems

3. Pick up your phone and try to hear any static or line disturbance and if it is there get it fixed

Try borrowing a different modem from a friend and see if it connects at higher speed or try a different ISP

baqai said:
Frodo here we have real sucky phone lines so at times connecting speeds can be lame

1. Make sure that your computer is getting a direct line in, other extensions must be passed from you (i hope i am making some sense here)

2. Answering machines attached to line at times can cause some problems

3. Pick up your phone and try to hear any static or line disturbance and if it is there get it fixed

Try borrowing a different modem from a friend and see if it connects at higher speed or try a different ISP

1. Sorry don't understand

2. Answering machines? Well, my house has two answering machines connected to our phone lines (one answering machine is directly attached to my comp modem from the phone jack on the modem)

3. Nope

Where here in our country here is how telephone system works, the main line comes in the house and to it you attach a telephone, if house is properly build than line will be internal otherwise some people also don't bother to have proper internal wiring and just have a direct line coming in from window or something,

Anyways if one have extensions in house than the main line is connected to a splitter which gives more extension to your house, we have around five extensions in our house, the main phone line comes to my room and is attached to my computer the rest of the lines are than connected from me (its like in a stupid sense being the server while other extensions are the clients) previously i had a extension in my room and i couldnt used to connect beyond 28.8 and i called lineman and he came and moved the main line to my room and since than it has been a smooth sailing

Also if you have a software modem try not to do much computer intensive (resource vice) work otherwise connection drops and sometimes also results in a bad connection (i have found this happening a lot of i am installing a big cdrom application esp games and trying to connect at the same time)

If you are folding / SETI always start the application after about 5 minutes of getting connected

was it more clear? if it was not let me know i will try to me more clear (sorry english is not my mother tongue hehe)

Thanks baquai, well, I unplugged the phone I had hooked into my modem, and I also unplugged the answering machine downstairs, no work, the speed is still 31.2

You got a lineman to come in and move the mian line to your room? How much does that cost?

I used to get 5.5-6k/sec when I was living in town, but now that I've moved back out to my parents farm its more like 4-5k/s. I guess its cause its further from the central in town. I use a USR ISA hardware modem I got when I had a P120... cost me $179 at the time! but it is a DAMN good modem, never a prob ever and every OS I've ever tried it on worked right off with no need to install drivers off the disk that came with it. Actually when I upgraded my girlfriends rig I specifically got a socket 462 mobo with an ISA slot(GA-7IXE4 ) so she could still use it ( her rig shares the connection) .

it cost me 50 bucks (about a dollar) to get it shifted i am sorry that didnt worked out for you but for me it did and was worth those 50 bucks (about a dollar)

It cost you a dollar to get it shifted?!? .... :( me confused, did you get a neighbourhood kid to do the phone work for you?

If it may cost me a dollar to almost double my d/l speed, heck I'll do that

Well, i imagine Frodo, that it may be cheaper to have the phonework done, for different reasons or something but probably in Canada, and in the States, it would be more expensive to get it done for some other reasons.

For price it really depends on your phone company, not your isp.

Just give 'em (your phone company) a ring and ask them how much it is for a line to be re-located. I haven't done it before, and I have no sense on money in Canada so i wouldnt be able to guess the price.

Good luck, ill just be sitting here waiting fir the damn cable internet to be upgraded.....:)

Last edited:
well according to my currency it cost me 50 Rs which is equivalent to around 1$ for you guys :D

call up your phone service ASK them first that you are having so and so problems and do they think by relocating the phone line it will solve the problem or not, it worked for me doesnt necessarily means that it will work for you and you end up spending money and get no gain out of it and than you try to find where i live lol

Back