• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Board for O/Cing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm

Maybe I've just got some bum sticks of Crucial. Oh well, I use them in my server, anyway, and it's not overclocked.

so maybe i should just hold out till i can get my hands on some crucial...i went with some genero stuff last time because of cost reasons, and it's prolly the reason why my rig (athlon 800@936-963 depending on mood) never ran totally right...the fsb wasn't outside the known limits of the board, but rather the memory...i'm pretty sure if i had good memory i coulda hit 1ghz...i wasn't short on cooling...

If you're going to go with the MSI dual, then I suggest Samsung PC2700. It's got lots of overclocking headroom and isn't particularly expensive. Unbuffered and Registered ECC both run in it fine. I haven't tried Samsung on the Iwill board, so I don't know if it's compatible with that one. Maybe theotherphil will let us know if he gets some.

cmcquistion said:
If you're going to go with the MSI dual, then I suggest Samsung PC2700. It's got lots of overclocking headroom and isn't particularly expensive. Unbuffered and Registered ECC both run in it fine. I haven't tried Samsung on the Iwill board, so I don't know if it's compatible with that one. Maybe theotherphil will let us know if he gets some.

Sure will, it's been shipped today so will be here Tuesday at the latest :)

I think it's crap. A lot of other people think it's crap.

theotherphil, shoarthing, and Brad_Collins think it's the best dual AMD board for overclocking.

Everyone's welcome to their opinions, of course. Let's not cr@p up the thread by war-ing about which board is better. It's pretty much agreed by all to be either the MSI K7D Master ~or~ the Iwill MPX2.

Several people over at 2CPU.com have complained about problems with XP2400's on K7D's, although most of them are using PSU's with insufficient power or running very high temps (don't even get me started on this.) Iwill users appear to be having better success with XP2400's.

The Iwill is the only dual AMD board to run really high fsb's with full stability. Not that it really matters as there is no 1/5th divider, but that just shows what good components are used on the board. If the board is stable at those high fsb's, it is sure as hell going to handle anything you can throw at it. Check this out....a friends MPX2 running 2x XP2400's with the multiplier set at 13x:

2x175fsb.jpg

The MSI is also a great board with loads of options....either is going to be a great buy.

and i never thought my thread would get this popular...this is the most posts i've ever had...and too much good information. you guys have been a big big help so far...now i only wish my car wasn't hogging all the cash...then i could build this monster...

I run the MSI k7d master board @ 150 fsb with crucial pc2100 ecc registered ram , and athlon xp 1600 AGOIA y 0213 chips @ 1.50 volts.

If you are going with xp2400's and want to overclock them a lot, The Iwill board sounds like it would work the best. If you went with the MSI board, you would only be able to overclock the fsb to 150 and that would be it.

Also, I can run this crucial ram @ cas2, 150fsb, with very advanced timings. I guess I'm lucky.

I've run my A7m266-D at 1.8v on both MP2000's @ 140fsb, with DDR twinmos ECC 2100 cas2 at 2.6Vdimm with no glitches or instability, I did it to see if it would. It's back down now, until I smooth some kinks out in my watercooling, eg, adding NB waterblock, and reservoir. Then I'll crank it up and see what these baby's can do... And a 9700pro too... Bring it on :D

I think I have asked this before but here goes again:

The Iwill MPX2 has had it's multiplier adjustment removed from the BIOS due to the way AMD has coded up the new multipliers. Can an MSI K7D user please check if they can select the full range of multipliers? I have a feeling that manual selection above 12.5 isn't available on the MSI. If this is the case, saying the board has multiplier adjustment as a "feature" is pretty much useless.

No AMD board, to my knowledge, has "full" multiplier adjustment in that sense. If you have a CPU below 2100+, then you can only choose multipliers up to 12.5. If you have a 2100+ or higher, then you have different options, depending on the motherboard and your unlock method.
I don't have any CPU's over 2000+, so I can't verify how the MSI K7D Master works with them.

I don't think it's wrong to say the that the MSI K7D Master has multiplier adjustment, because it does. It has the same kind of multiplier adjustment that other AMD boards have. The 12.5 multiplier issue is an annoyance, but it is the same issue with hundreds of other AMD boards and it is much better than having no multiplier adjustment.

I agree in that respect, but is multiplier adjustment available above 12.5x with CPU's over 2000+? For example, a friend of mine is using an MPX2 motherboard and decided to use an XP2600. As the Iwill doesn't have multiplier adjustment (because of issues with higher multipliers), he had to hard code the desired multiplier by cutting the bridges on the CPU itself. Iwill chose to remove the multiplier adjustment all together rather than only offer part adjustment (multipliers up to 12.5). Does the MSI have this adjustment or only adjustment up to 12.5?

I think that this is a fair point....I would like to run my CPU's at 150fsb x15.5 instead of 155fsb x 15. This would keep the same overall CPU speed but be more gentle on the PCI bus. Can the MSI offer this? If not, I would say that the multiplier adjustment feature on the MSI is about as useful as that of the Iwill's :/

I wish I knew the answer to that. Unfortunately, I don't have any XP's over 1800+. I'll bet there are some people around here, or at 2CPU that are running XP2100+ or higher CPU's in their K7D. They'll know whether it allows higher multipliers than 12.5, above XP2000+.

Back