• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid card cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
ok simple question. If i wanted to cool the back of the vid card it would be safe to say i could use thermal tape to hold the HS down right? It would not have a fan so a small sink would do since my rear fan is so close to the card pulling air out.

thanks in advance to all those who reply.

Evilsizer

If you do it right it could work well. But you don't want a piece of cunductive metal touching the back of the card shorting things out. :eek:

Yeah it will work. Use some AS Epoxy for a more permanent idea. Don't worry too much about conductive metal. All the PCB's come with a coating to protect, all be it *very* little. Just make sure you don't scratch up the card much. Besides... If you're putting it on the backside of the core it’ll just resting on the inductors and capacitors anyways.

Just don't push your luck and try and soldier it on ;)

FYI I did this to a tnt2 M64 I put in a friends computer. It only had a passive sink and would crash at below stock levels. I just took the HS off my original TNT and AS epoxied it to the back.

-Toysrme

MOst geforces have resistors and stuff behind the chip, dont they? You need to keep the heatsink from actually touching them. Use Arctic Alumina Epoxy to keep it from touching.

Actually, I dislike modding video cards because it voids their warranties.... I would go with some of the ideas on www.overclockers.com. Check the video card cooling and performance section, there are some awesome ideas there. I used the Miserly Cooler article to fix up my video cooling. All you have to do is screw an 80mm (any size, really, if you want!) into an empty PCI screw hole and rotate the fan so it blows onto the card directly.

i would use the thermal adhesive tape to cover the heatsink. Im tring to get my comp. quiter and as for the warrenty its gone.

see sig for video.

Back