• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does this stock hsf ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

tight budget and want to know if this stock hsf would allow me to o/c 100-200mhz ?
AMD Athlon XP 1700+/266 FSB Thorougbred Processor CPU 1700+/ 1.47GHz - Retail, AXDA1700BOX $65

can I get to 1.6ghz on this stock hsf ?

thanks

I am not familiar with the stock hsf fan for retail xp's I usualy get oem cpus.

All i can say is that from my experience with a stock hsf for my tbird 1.4, it was crap. It did not do a good job at all, as one of overclockers.com's many hsf tests concluded, the stock heatsink proved to be an outstanding paper weight.

I would recommend perhaps getting an oem cpu for cheaper and putting the money in and get a decent cooler, something that will do a better job, put you down into less risky temps, you can apply AS3 and not have to worry about picking off the thermal crud they put on the bottom. Plus I know with my sk6 it did way better job cooling my tbird and Im still using it on my 2200+ and its doing a good job.

IMO amd stock hsf is ok for running at stock, for ocing I would look into a better cooler.

Some to check out :

Thermalright Sk7, Sk6+, slk-800 is really nice but pricey, or even a Volcano 9 I think would do the job ( I dont know too much about thermaltakes like up performance wise ) Those are some decently priced ones although you can spend alot more to get something more powerfull like alpha 8045, swiftech mcx462 or as mentioned slk-800.

Note in Advance: if you decide to go with something like sk6 or sk7, if noise may be an issue, avoid delta fans, I really nice setup ive seen is the Sk7 with a 74mm YS Tech TMD fan (had motors in each corner instead of creating deadspace in the middle of the fan )

Hope this helps!

kevinN said:
tight budget and want to know if this stock hsf would allow me to o/c 100-200mhz ?
AMD Athlon XP 1700+/266 FSB Thorougbred Processor CPU 1700+/ 1.47GHz - Retail, AXDA1700BOX $65

can I get to 1.6ghz on this stock hsf ?

thanks

don't risk it, u could fry the CPU (200Mhz overclock is a lot on AMD world, and it would generate heat way more than it already does on stock speed)

Alright thank you guys !
That means I will get the T-Bred 1800 OEM and some good hsf.

and Hope my GA-7VXTE would give me ~200mhz on this OC
else
:mad:

Re: Re: how does this stock hsf ?

nut581 said:

don't risk it, u could fry the CPU (200Mhz overclock is a lot on AMD world, and it would generate heat way more than it already does on stock speed)

if you have a hsf on there.. properly installed..
no way your gonna fry your cpu.. it would just run unstable and extremly hot...

if you see your temps at 80C+ i think you would be smart enough to lower the bus.. :p

Back