• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I have a cyrix 266.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveSauce

and I realize that this is not the cyrix forum, but oh well...heh. Well, it is a socket 7, so maybe this is the right forum...heh

Anyway, my dad's friend just bought a pac-bell computer, and he wants to put a CD-R drive in it....however, I have a few concerns...

Its a 266 with 48MB ram, and it has a 4.3 gig HD. I'm wondering if this is enough to burn a CD....

But I know that this is not enough for much of a computer. My main questions are first, how fast of a processor can I stick in this thing? Second, will I be able to put a new CD burner in it, considering the age of the motherboard? And I suppose third, is this enough of a computer to burn CDs?

Oh yea, I suppose you'll need the northbridge info....I have no idea what numbers mean what (its an intel chipset), so here it is....

PCIset
SB2437VX
SU116

thats the writing onthe northbridge...

And as far as computer info, it is a Packard Bell Multimedia 730. I cant find certain model numbers on the motherboard, though....there are several numbers, but none of them designate themselves as a model number...

I have no doubt a burner will work. But how slow we won't know. As long as it's a newer burner with some type of bufferunderrun protection it should be fine.
As for the processor I think you can jam a AMD K6-2 500 in there. I would look to getting some more ram like 128 at least to get it chugging nicely. For more input on if it can support a fast CPU tell us the model of Pac Bell comp.

Packard Bell Multimedia 730....

and I think I found the motherboard model number...its an FM530.

Also, I was looking at some support pages, and it seems the jumpers only provide a 266 mhz speed.....is there any way around this, or would it be stuck there?

Oh yea, and as for video cards...I have a Voodoo3 PCI lying around, that may or may not work. Providing that it works, will this computer support it?

Well I don't know if this is useful yet. But i found a site that has a BIOS update for the board, some boards need a update to fully make use of the K6-2 chips speed.
Bios Update
Same thing the guy that helped me find my bios said: "I'm not responsible for damage inccured that a fouled up BIOS flash can cause"

Oh and as for upgrading the RAM watch out because I've looked at some sites saying that it uses special Pac Bell Ram.

The only way to see if the videocard is to pop it in I think it should work.
For now I'm still looking for useful info on the board. So far I've found out the other name for the board is PB810.

Check out this site if it's anyhelp http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/810.htm

I've also found out this board doesn't not have the right voltage that a k6-2 needs.

Last edited:
yea, I found that exact site.....but I tried the voodoo3 and it wouldn't work...I think its a dead card (i think thats the reason I have it sitting in and ESD bag in a drawer, heh)....I dunno. the computer recognizes it because when its in, it shuts off the integrated vid....but the voodoo doesnt work...heh.

anyway, I checked a diagram of the mobo, and the jumpers only go up to 266 mhz....

Oh yea, and does anyone know if the cyrix CPUs are ceramic? Newegg has dead ones.....20 for $.75, free shipping. I plan on getting 100, if they're ceramic. I want to make jewelry. hehe.

thats when I encase it in acrylic and drill through the acrylic...hehe.

Anyway, I think I would get more respect if it were a 1.0ghz tbird. Too bad I dont have mine anymore....sold it in a computer to my neighbor...heh....o well, I can get one at newegg for $37....

Back