• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**Some advice please**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrix3412

Registered
I posted something on here about 2 months ago saying that my amd athlon xp2200+ was running at 70C.
I have gotten this temperature down now thanks to people's advice but even at the temp it is now, the comp becomes very unstable after its been in for a few hours.
My temps now are 42C average, but when it hits 44C-45C the comp becomes unstable and I have to turn it off for a while.
I have a thermalright slk-800 heatsink and a delta 80mm fan on it with 80CFM, a fan at the front, a fan at the back and both sides of my case off and a silver compound, is there anything else I could do to get my cpu temp down?

btw im running it at the normal speed of 1.8Ghz

uh. that dosn't sound like a heat problem. my 2200+ is overclocked to 2.0gig and it can run at 56c all day. I say try changing your ram settings in your BIOS, or if that dosn't help, upping your volatage a little, maybe to 1.70v

ThePunkGeek said:
what kinda powersupply are you using. To me this don't sound like a heat related prob more like a power problem

oooh yeah, or that. You'll need a strong 350w or greater PSU, but it's best to err on the side of retardation and get something like a 431w or more.

If u have a XP2200 with a HSF properly installed there is no way that it should overheat or shutdown with the sides of the case off.

We need EVERY detail about your system to really guess what's wrong and I mean every detail!

Comp Specs

My comp specs are as followed:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Asus A7V8X M/B
512MB 333Mhz DDR RAM
MSI GF 4 Ti 4200
80 gig 7200rpm HD
20 gig 7200rpm HD
yamaha 8x4x24 cd writer
50x cd-rom drive
floppy drive
sound blaster 128 pci
scsi card
network card
230v/300 watt power supply

If ive missed anything out let me know

ya it is definety not a heat problem, those temps are fine you have now. i would replace that 300w power supply. im not saying that definetly is the problem, but you are running a 50x cdrom, a cd writer, a strong athlon, and 2 7200 rpm harddrives. if all those are trying to spin at the same time, i would think your power supply is having trouble keeping up.

Thanks for the help :) I saw a 550 watt power supply on special offer, its £49.99

Will the one in my link do the job well enough though because im on a very tight budget and the ones your talking about are another £50???

am i not seeing any specifications or are they just not there? cant say whether its good or not. there is a lot more to a power supply than just wattage... search on power supplies if you want to learn more about them. i would go with the last posts advice and get an enermax or antec, something name brand and popular. my enermax works great i know. if you are unsure of what is causing instability issues in your system, it would be a good idea to get a power supply that ensures a stable, consistent supply of power to all components. you could get a good 450 watt psu if you wanted to save a little money, that would be plenty.

Seeing as I dont have much money (being christmas) I had to get the psu I mentioned above... Ive had the computer running for a few hours again and the temp has risen and become unstable again.
I would have thought even if the psu is rubbish, the power in it would have been ok...
Would an enermax psu sort this problem out or could it be something else?

how are you getting your temps? i still dont think its a heat problem, but the only way it could be is if you arent getting the right heat readings and your heatsink isnt mounted properly or not enough heat compound between it and the cpu. overall, that is unlikely. it could be that something is causing the psu to heat up too much and the problem gets worse as the psu gets hotter because it cant supply consistent current/voltage under the conditions, but im just making that up. it could be a lot of things i guess, i would have to say that it doesnt seem any of us on this thread can advise you well enough, especially with the information your giving us. someone else is going to need to help you if this can be solved. my only real advice at this point is post your problem again, with as many details as possible of your setup, and give it a more specific subject title so it might attract someone who knows more about this kind of problem.

Well ruling out the PS cost you 50. Now we can look elsewhere. Like I said before there is no way that the CPU can overheat with a decent heatsink properly installed. It is not possible since the sink draws excessive heat away from the CPU.

I would check the install on your heatsink. Take it off, clean all of the crap off of it, put on new heatsink grease and clip it back on. Get a friend who has done it before to watch you do it to make sure it's being done right.

When u say it becomes "unstable" what do u mean?

What I mean by unstable is that after the comp has been on for a few hours, I might try to put a game on to play and it will load up, but when im playing it the frame rate will be really crap at about 5 frames - 10 frames per second... If I try to load internet explorer it might take a minute for it to load and when it does, I type the url in and the letters appear 1 by 1 like on a 286 or something lol.

Samoyed said:
I would check the install on your heatsink. Take it off, clean all of the crap off of it, put on new heatsink grease and clip it back on. Get a friend who has done it before to watch you do it to make sure it's being done right.

Ive done all that now... I will post another reply in a 2-3 hours to let everyone know if thats helped.

matrix3412 said:
but when im playing it the frame rate will be really crap at about 5 frames - 10 frames per second... If I try to load internet explorer it might take a minute for it to load and when it does, I type the url in and the letters appear 1 by 1 like on a 286 or something lol.

Could be your cache or windows. Try making a static cache of 512 min/max.

Could also try reloading windows, that always makes things work good.

As for the heat portion, make sure when applying the thermal paste that you smooth it out with a razor blade or something so there's just a minimal ammount to fill the gaps in the heatsink and processor. My buddy had a whole packet on his before and that caused a heat related problem. Also try updating your video card drivers.

gwcz said:

Could be your cache or windows. Try making a static cache of 512 min/max.

Could also try reloading windows, that always makes things work good.

As for the heat portion, make sure when applying the thermal paste that you smooth it out with a razor blade or something so there's just a minimal ammount to fill the gaps in the heatsink and processor. My buddy had a whole packet on his before and that caused a heat related problem. Also try updating your video card drivers.

With the cache thing, I dont know how to do that, second thing with restarting windows doesn't help and Ive just checked the heatsink and paste a few hours ago.

Maybe a fresh install of windows may sort something out...

Also try pointing a big *** fan into the case and see if it still screws up....your temps seem fine to me.

Back