• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Problem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuper

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a K7D and am having problems keeping the heat down! When running seti with ambient temps of 80 deg F I can't seem to get the CPU's below 50 Deg C. I am running Artic Silver 2 on the stock heatsinks. I know that the heatsinks are my weak link but do these numbers sound correct to you? I have a large fan blowing directly at the open case from about 1 foot away to even keep them at these temp. The XP2000's are @ stock speeds too?

What heatsinks would you guys suggest? SK-6+'s? Any suggestions on Fans? Maybe somthing that I can control the speed?

Thanks for any advice

Cuper

Welllll

If you want to keep your stock heatsinks - then I dropped
the temps of my Dual 1600+ by 5 Degrees C by putting in
80mm ports on the side of the case ( I used speaker Bass
ports) directly over each processor. Also Vent the top of the
case. Personally I would get better (variable) Fans too.
And once the bug has caught - at least 1 120mm exhaust
on the top of the case.
I believe every one of these options has been investigated
fully on these forums.

have Fun - don

Thanks but the side of the case is off and am stil getting these temps. I have a house fan blowing on it to keep it below 55+ deg C.? Just seems high? Both cpus are within 3 deg. on the motherboard temps.

You should get some better heatsinks, than the stock coolers. You'll find lots of talk about heatsinks around here. The best heatsink on the market is the SLK-800 and it will fit on the K7D, I'm told.

That said, you can lower your temps a LOT, just by lowering the Vcore. Your chips will probably run at less than 1.75 volts, as they are defaulted to. I run XP1600's at 1.5 Vcore and 1.65 Vcore, when they're overclocked to XP2000 speed. Try lowering your Vcore to 1.725 volts and boot up Windows. If it starts ok, then restart and bump the Vcore down another notch (0.025 volts.) Continue doing this until Windows is unable to boot, then restart and up the voltage to the last stable level. You can lower your temps 10-15C, just by lowering the Vcore a bit.

One word of advice, though. Sometimes, Windows will run stable at low voltage, but some tasks, like F@H will just crawl. This is a symptom of not-quite-enough juice, so you may have to bump it up one more notch.

cool thanks!

Anyone know of fans that could go on a SK6 that can be manually adjusted for speed? With a baybus or something? I would prefer not to install one of those but just the concept? I don't want something that loud.

Thanks!

If you want speed control, but don't want to install a baybus, you can just get some rheostats from Radioshack or similar retailer and wire them into the hot lead of your fan. Make sure you get 100 Ohm, 5 Watt Rheostats. With these, you should be able to dial in the exact amount of rpms/noise you want. (25 Ohms, isn't enough, 50-100 is good.)

Of course, if you got an SK-7 or SLK-800, you could use an 80mm fan, which would put out more air with less noise and you can get manually adjustable 80mm fans, made by Enermax, for about $8. They are pretty good. Fairly quiet at low RPMs and capable of really high airflow at high RPMs.

50-60C is fine. As long as you are having no heat related lock ups, these are normal tempratures. Mine run 50-63c with SK6's and low speed 60mm fans. The stock HSF is ment to keep the CPU at around this tempreture anyway. Except my HSF or much quiter. Only if you are overclocking are you going to need those big HSF.

I would advise against having you CPU fans on a baybus. It's all to easy for somebody to come along, and turn the fans off and melt your CPU's. :eek:

If they are hooked up through rheostats, mounted inside the case, it's much safer.

Of course, it's always a good idea to have the BIOS autoshutdown if temps get too high or set up a software program to do this.

nobody would touch my stuff but thanks for the advice:) Hey, if I want to put 80mm fans I do I need adapters? That would be on SK6's

I've heard that using 80mm fan adapters on the SK6, kinda reduces performance. Another guy just set the 80mm fan on top of the heatsink at an angle and clipped it in with the standard hold-downs. (Think of an 8-sided star, that's what it looked like.)

Unless you already have SK-6's, I'd recommend getting the SK-7's or SLK-800's. They are really built for 80mm fans and will offer a lot of cooling potential.

i've tried to find an answer to this, but i dont think i saw it anywhere: can two SLK800s fit on a MSI KD7 master mobo?

Cuper what utility are you using for monitoring the temperature? I had problems with both MSI´s own utility and the MBM 5 utility, they both showed crazy values. I have Vcore set at 1.825 volts and running 144 Mhz FSB. My cpu temps are 46 and 48 deg C, but I have a high case at 37 deg C. Using pretty crappy 80 mm fan coolers.

Henry Rollins II said:
Cuper what utility are you using for monitoring the temperature?

i am using MSI's too. It hasn't been a problem over the last couple of days so I have sort of forgot about it:) What utility do you use now? Thanks for answering the question about the heatsinks b/c i was planning on buying them in the next day or so:)

I've been using MBM without any problems on all three of my MSI K7D's. If you configure it correctly, it will report correct temperatures.

Back