• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my CPU temps too high??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtc4u

I have an internal case temperature of 35C and my CPUs are runing at 53C and 52C. I am using the retail AMD heatsinks. I'm not looking for different heatsinks. I've had good heatsinks before but they were too loud. Drove me nuts. I just want to know if my temps are correct for haveing an ambient of 35C??

System Specs:
Dual AMD Athlon MP 2000+/retail heatsinks
MSI K7D Master Motherboard
No case fans installed at this time.
Temps are taken from the BIOS and also HMonitor

hmon.jpg

yeah, those temps would seem about right with the stock heat sinks. but having no case fans is really not that good of an idea. a case temp of 35 is quite hot. i really have to recommend some sort of case fan, at least some exhaust. if you are worried about noise, the vantec stealth fans are really quiet. the processors should work at that temp, especially at stock speed, but a few degrees cooler certainly wouldnt hurt anything.

edit: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

Yup I ordered a 120mm front case fan and a 92mm rear case fan. Both are antec smart fans. I should have them by wednesday. I've got 3 more holes to put fans but kinda strapped for cash since i got laid off. Thanks for the reply.

edit: Thanks for the welcome. I been reading them for a couple days now. Really seein some good info on different systems.

I actually think that these temps are quite high. These are idle temps right ?
You NEED exhaust, and put some load on the cpu's. Keep monitoring your temperature and see where it tops out. (I would shut the machine down if it goes over 65C)

a good indicator to see if case flow is your problem. ( I'm 99% sure it is.) take off the side of you case. if your temps drop which they almost certainly will that is your problem. the idea with ventilation is to get as close to the side off temp as possible. If you really do it right with a good mix of exhaust and intake you can get the temps lower than that. ie my cpu load temps with case side on 44c with case side off 46-47c

Back