• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valid

I was thinking of replacing the stock cooling on the north bridge of my EPoX-8K7A with either a Thermaltake Blue Orb or a GlobalWin FA420. I know most of the people on the forum dislike Orbs, but I'm not really knowledgeable about replacing chipset cooling. Any recommendations (Even for something other than those two) would be helpful.

PS. What about those Thermaltake DDR Memory Module Heat Spreaders? Anyone used them? I'm thinking of trying them out.

the Blord is an excellent chipset heatsink. Much better than an orb on a cpu.

I use the Vantec model of chipset cooling, I did it for when I get decent ram I am gonna jack up the FSB and it would be better if it is cool!

Yup.. that orb will do the trick well. I had just a standard heatsink on my motherbaord and i decided to just place $10 orb with some artic silver 2 and what do you know my cpu and ssytem temps when down due to the fan being able to get rid of the heat. It also allowed for 66mhz increase in my cpu speed. I mean $10 you cant go wrong. Got one on my video card as well.

Thanks for the info all. I think I'm going to be collecting a lot of low-cost computer parts (like fans and the like). Sounds like it'll be fun!

What kind of FSB are you guys hitting to warrant increased cooling on the chipset? I am running 150Mhz FSB and just have the stock plain green HS only from Via and the thing is always cool to the touch!

It's just a hunch, but the 1ghz+ AMD CPUs get a lot hotter than the PIII CPUs and need more cooling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Amedeo602 (Jul 30, 2001 07:42 p.m.):
It's just a hunch, but the 1ghz+ AMD CPUs get a lot hotter than the PIII CPUs and need more cooling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

yes, but this really doesn't relate to the blorb much. The Via chipset really needs active cooling on it. If you use a blorb, be sure to lap it, they are horribly misfigured(I used some rough paper on it to level it out, and that took a while too.)

So you are saying using a AMD CPU is gonna heat up the Northbridge???????????? That makes no sense to me. Could that be explained. Remeber we are talking about chipsets not CPUs!

Froggy (Jul 31, 2001 12:19 a.m.):
So you are saying using a AMD CPU is gonna heat up the Northbridge???????????? That makes no sense to me. Could that be explained. Remeber we are talking about chipsets not CPUs!

You may have a cool chipset, but as you will learn that all M/B's are not equal. Mine was not cool to the touch. Everybody's systems are gonna be different one way or another. I do plan to go to 166mhz FSB very soon and I KNOW I will need active cooling on my chipset, I even have it on both my south/north bridge. They were $5 a peice with fans. Why not?

the best way to cool a chipset is to get a fop32 and ut the end off(the bit the goes over the plastic bit of the socket and glue it with artic silver to you chipset, it works well

Back