• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hippopotumus

Registered
i have a 90mm intake in front behind about 20 1/8inch holes i drilled into the case since there was no front intake. its supposed to run at 2700rpm. i have no way to monitor what speed its running at now. do you think its getting enough air because my system temps are 34ish, cpu is 44ish idle.
i have a 90mm exhaust in back, 80mm exhaust on top, and 80mm on side intake. temps seem high, for idle.

getting new heatsink, 2 80's to replace the 90exhaust, but do you think my 90mm intake is getting enought air to suck in?

It isn't very fast, I would not know though, since I keep my case side off and have a Delta screamer on the heatsink.

hippopotumus said:
i have a 90mm intake in front behind about 20 1/8inch holes i drilled into the case since there was no front intake. its supposed to run at 2700rpm. i have no way to monitor what speed its running at now. do you think its getting enough air because my system temps are 34ish, cpu is 44ish idle.
i have a 90mm exhaust in back, 80mm exhaust on top, and 80mm on side intake. temps seem high, for idle.

getting new heatsink, 2 80's to replace the 90exhaust, but do you think my 90mm intake is getting enought air to suck in?

is your processor running at stock speeds? what type of hsf combo do you have on your 2000+? what type of thermal grease are you using? the temperatures really don't sound that bad... it would more be what the load temperatures are rather than the stock... i mean, your temps aren't fantastic, but they're not the worst. i would check to make sure that your heatsink is sitting on there level. that is one of the biggest reasons for temperatures being high, besides good airflow... i mean, your airflow sounds like it should be pretty good. is the room that you are in cool, warm, hot? there are a lot of factors that effect the temperatures. i know that my ambient temperature can effect my processor temps by as much as 10 C. just a few things to consider when checking out your processor temps.

Instead of drilling 20 1/8" holes, just drill a 90mm hole. You'll get *a lot* better airflow. At the very least you should drill out as large a hole as you can.

-Toysrme

i couldn't make a big hole.. i should have made like 4 1'' holes, but the power and reset button are right smack in the middle of that front panel on the case...

room is about 70ish farenheight..little warm...

stock hs and hs/f. cpu at regular speeds

getting sk-7 and vantec tornado though..and some as3..i had cheap thermal grease i think.

about leaving side panel off...isn't that bad? cos i did that for like 10 mins and my temps lowered, but i was worried about dust and stuff...

hippopotumus said:
i couldn't make a big hole.. i should have made like 4 1'' holes, but the power and reset button are right smack in the middle of that front panel on the case...

room is about 70ish farenheight..little warm...

stock hs and hs/f. cpu at regular speeds

getting sk-7 and vantec tornado though..and some as3..i had cheap thermal grease i think.

about leaving side panel off...isn't that bad? cos i did that for like 10 mins and my temps lowered, but i was worried about dust and stuff...

just to warn you, the vantec tornado is a screamer... and i am talking very loud. i have one that i use during the summer when my computer tends to overheat. one thing i would consider if you are stuck on getting one is getting a rheobus to be able to control the fan speed. once you get the sk-7 and as3, your temps should drop fairly well... and with the side of the case off, you probably won't collect a whole lot more dust... i would just be careful around an open case because a lot can accidently go wrong...

noise isn't a problem, computer is for gaming mainly. if i do have it on doing something (downloading stuff), i'll probably be watching tv or not in the room. i'd rather have an awesome gaming system for a great price, then worry bout noise....until of course i go mad and throw it out the window

ok if the hs doesn't drop temps enough for my likeing, i'll take off a side and cover it with stockings or something..or just clean it often

hippopotumus said:
noise isn't a problem, computer is for gaming mainly. if i do have it on doing something (downloading stuff), i'll probably be watching tv or not in the room. i'd rather have an awesome gaming system for a great price, then worry bout noise....until of course i go mad and throw it out the window

ok if the hs doesn't drop temps enough for my likeing, i'll take off a side and cover it with stockings or something..or just clean it often

if it would happen to get a little too noisy for ya, you can always do a cheap 7v mod to the fan. it makes it quieter with still pretty good performance.

http://www.overclockershideout.com/7voltmod.shtml

it's a really easy guide to follow :) i've made one myself using it... couldn't have been easier.

heh.. i'm 15, this is my first rig. my dad would kill me if i blew it up trying to mod voltage stuff that i have no clue bout. i'll deal with the noise for now

Still. Cut out as much as possible. No real point in having all that noise and not getting any better airflow than a cheap 80mm will put out...

-Toysrme

hippopotumus said:
heh.. i'm 15, this is my first rig. my dad would kill me if i blew it up trying to mod voltage stuff that i have no clue bout. i'll deal with the noise for now

did you check out the link? it's fool proof, really. bookmark that for when you get your vantec tornado... there is a decent chance that you will change your mind once you hear the thing screaming. i couldn't stand mine... that was the only time i ever turned my computer off when i wasn't using it. if you can build your own computer and stuff, you can do a vmod no problem. and it's not like you are messing up the psu. you are just messing with some wires on a seperate cable. it'll end up like this:
step24s.jpg

if you can cut, strip, and twist wires and have some electrical tape and one of those short extensions lying around (you usually get them with powerful fans) you can make it... just keep it in mind, that's all i am saying... good luck with your sk-7. you know where to come if you have any questions.

instead of just drilling multiple small holes to simulate a fan grill intake, just cut-out the entire part, make a hole that is the same size as the round part of the fan blades only then drill 4 holes (1 for each mount) and screw it in. What i have noticed about alot of grills is they actually block alot of air and create more noise, bc of the air whipping over the edges creates more of a whisping noise and it will also block cfm up to 15%

are there any consequences of doing a 7volt mod like that? ive heard people talk about them. it seems like if the psu was sending out 12v and expected to get 12v back then there could be a problem when that doesnt happen... like is it bad for your psu or anything i mean? ive just wondered that, i hate asking questions on electrical things because i know almost nothing.

Back