• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic silver 3 or artic alumina??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conan

hi guys according to some ppl alumina is better than as3 for graph. gpu, is that true, and is it also better for the mobo chipset???
thank you!

Arctic Alumina is non capacitive/conductive, which means its safer. That is why most people prefer using that on graphics.

Arctic Silver is capacitive, so it is not as safe. It can short components.

I use AS3 as much as I can. I think that if splatered in exces(sp?), you increase the chance of something shorting out, but it hasn't happened to me yet, TG.

Hmm guess I'll risk it and use AS2 (don't got no 3 yet) on my friend's GF4. (Damn thing is overheating at STOCK freqs.) he needs some AS2 and a GF4 cooler/crys orb.

off topic. but anyone know a guide for how to switch hsf on a GF4? Thanks.

My friend's card has push pins. You simply flip the card over and carefully squeeze the pins with needle nose plier and once it goes up a bit, finish pushing it with your finger until it pops out the side where the fan is.

Also, I should point out that I've never used AS on the RAM, only on the core. For the RAM I always use AA Adhesive, but I have no way of knowing if RAM sinks help or not, but they look good :)

I feel it is always safe to use AS3. It's to be applied in thin coat so It SHOULDNT get anywhere, but where intended. It only dropped me a few degrees, but may as well take em right. :)

As is fine on cpus, theres really nothing to short out with it ontop of the core. If you got as on the bridges, then there would be problems. Again like said before its fine on a gpu, but for ramsinks aa is the best to use. Like Namagomi said it can be a b!tch to remove from the traces on ram.

Back