• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd newbie got it running, sort of

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fastcuda

Well its running, sluggish and unstable. I have a pci univ ser bus no driver loaded problem. When I loaded asus monitor utility it said caution, jumper controlling processor speed? and it was only running at 1056. I went into advanced bios and switched to [email protected] and it sped up a little, still hangs on windows boot screen for about 2 minutes, using w98se, is that a problem with this board? With 2 sticks of pc3200 corsair should the fsb jumper be on 200 or 266, it's on 266 now. Well at least its posting ok, guess thats a plus on these new boards. Any ideas on waking this thing up? oh ya, my cd and dvd get fatal errors now and start button freezes, go figure.

Any help appreciated, Joe

system:
amd 1800+ asus a7ndx8 deluxe 2X256 pc3200 corsair
450 w psu, gainward ti4200 golden sample

*edit* welcome to the forums man! i hope you find your answers

the cdrom crapping out sounds like your not using the 1/5 divider. is there a jumper setting for that?

id help yah, but i dont know much about that board.

this belongs in "AMD motherboards" under Asus.

Welcome to the Forums!

I don't think its a divider issue, as your only running at 133 mhz FSB, the default for that CPU.

I'm not sure if my board is similar to yours, but if it is, there should be something called JumperFree mode. You said that you changed the FSB in the bios, but then you refer to jumpers. I'm pretty sure that you must either use the jumpers for everything, or for nothing. This depends on whether you are in jumperfree mode or not. Check your manual for more info.

Also, what are your temps? Perhaps that could be a cause of instability.

I bought windows xp pro and everything is running fine now, I do not recommend w98se with an a7n8x asus mb unless your an expert tweaker.

thanks, Joe

Back