• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much benifit from rshack goop to as3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

Do you think it would be worth the trouble of remounting my waterblock and reasealing it to go from my 99c radioshack white goop to as3. How much of a temp decrease would I see at low temps? (see sig)

i would expect no more than a few degrees drop from changing the goop. i think it wouldn't be too much trouble, and it would be worth changing it to me just so i wasnt sitting around wondering what difference it would make... thats the kind of stupid stuff that keeps me up at night :)

You'd get a few degrees, but nothing drastic. RS stuff is pretty low end. Do it if you want, or just keep some as3 around for the next time you pop the block off.

nealric said:
Yeah- I dont think it would be THAT much- but If I could go from 17c to say 12c, it would make me very happy :)

heh... sorry, but there's no way you'll get 5C from a goop change (unless the original goop was chunky peanut butter:D)

at most you'll get 1-2degrees change...

but as time goes on, as3 stays moist and keeps transferring heat well while radio shack goop tends to either dry out or melt and run out! (i've had both happen... i'm sure they change suppliers often)

so do it if you want a consistent interface material... but don't expect big cooling gains

You could always do what my buddy did, and move your pc into his freezer. It's between the deer meat (he didn't shoot it, he hit it with his truck) and the ice cream.

sweet, all you gotta do when you get hungry is take off the heatsink, slap some deer meat on the cpu, eat some ice cream while you wait and... voila, the venison is served.

Back