• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much difference is it going to make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

I am replacing my computer (in sig) with this one

AMD Athalon XP 2200+
Aopen AK77-333
512MB DDR PC2100
Aopen Casing With 450W PSU

i have option of changing my Aopen Ti4200 with MSI Ti4600 for small sum of money and i think i will be going for it too,

so how much difference is this new rig going to make (speed & performance) my current TBIRD is very HOT (66C) will this XP run much cooler?

yes the xp will run much cooler just make sure you get a tbread rev B now right off the bat you wont see a huge performance gain but it will be faster cause ddr is much faster than sdr mem... now where the real diffenence is in how far you can overclock the tbread and thats wher the real performance gain is... now a few suggestions make sure the ram is a brand name like crucal kingston or corsair if possible get pc2700 mem (if you have the choice between pc2700 mem and trading your 4200 for a 4600 go for the mem and overclock the 4200...) now for the motherboard get an abit kx7333r they are pretty cheap and really good overclockers... also try for a thermalright ax7 heatsink you can put a quiet fan on it and still get good performance (I average around 44 degrees celsius when gaming with my ax7 and 39cfm fan and thats overclocked 250mhz with max voltage tbreads run extremely cool compared to tbirds) well thats my reccomendation....

Ghost68 is right on, but the mobo choice is up to you. There are other name brands that are just as good. The ASUS board based on the KT333 chipset is good, but stay away from the KT400 chipset for now. Wait until the KT400A chipset comes out if you want to go with the 400 speed.

oh i forgot hehe scratch the kx7 get and asus a7v333 raid board(you never know when youll get a new harddrive and its better to get raid and not use it than to not get it and gind out later you really need it its a just in case thing...) with a tbread (XP2200+) your processor will be multi unlocked which can help keep your pci/agp in spec when you overclock

I can't get Asus :mad: my choices are limited to Aopen and Gigabyte right now, and one more thing i found out the memory i am getting is not PC2100 it is PC2700

Back