• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sick Of Using The 4 Mounting Holes!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sminker

Its just a major pain in the ***. Having to totally disconnect everything from the motherboard and having to remove it from the case or motherboard tray.....

Ive been pondering on buying the SLK-800 or the SK7.

Im currently using a Swiftech MCX-462 and a PAL8045 on two of my 4 rigs.

Do the SLK-800s hold 80mm fans fine? How heavy is this beast and should i be worried about it? Im a OCer so ill probably be reusing my Mechatronics 53CFM fan. Great airflow and very low noise.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Slk-800 = 505g
SK7 = 485g
MCX362 = 730g

So they are lighter then what you have been using. I have no problems of the slk-800s having trouble with 80mms, they come with an assortment of I think 4 clips that hold different sized fans.

sminker said:
Ive been pondering on buying the SLK-800 or the SK7.

dont count on the easyness to install both these hs... ive heard ax7 is easy to install lotsof times and its still the l337 hs for sub 40cfm fans, ok i go buy it. It performs good with low cfm fans thats true, BUT ITS STILL A PAIN TO INSTALL!!! You seem to thing those both heatsinks are easy to install without unpluging the whole comp, they are not believe me. Performance has a also a price that cant be measured by $...

I fll in love with the mount holes the first time I used them. Just use some glue that can be taken off with "relitively" little hassle. Like a THIN superglue varryant. I just use r/c thin CA. Bonds in less than a second. Just be careful not to use tons ;) it is an exothermic reaction LoL! Besides no point in pulling and ripped the back layer of the motherboard off!

-Toysrme

(Anyone that's ever broken off more than 1 socket tab will know why the mounting holes are good)

Hey man, if the hole mounting anoys ya just cut a square hole in the back of the MB tray in your case, give ya easy access to the nuts on the back and you can take off/put on any HS without taking anything apart. Wont hurt the stability of the case at all either, done it to a couple cases.

here ya go, the first thing i did to my case,
whole.JPG

if you've got one i'd use a dremel rather than a jigsaw
oh and i used electrical tape to cover the sharp edges
good luck:D:D

slipknot said:
It isn't that bad man. I would rather have piece of mind that my 600+ Gram Heatsink isn't going to fall off. Waterblock in my case :)

Yeah I use the mounting holes and like it. I am sitting here trying to talk myself out of using them to switch heatsinks but having a hard time. The holes bring me great piece of mind and the only reason to actually remove the mobo is if you totaly want to remove the heatsink and put in a new one. If you just want to swap out cpus or something you can unmount the heatsink without removing the mobo.

Its actually much easier than removing and reinstalling a conventional heatsink since you don't have to worry about slipping and gouging your mobo while you use the clips.

Back