• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF Suggestions for my new setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

Can you guys help me with my new system I'm planning on running? I want to know if I need to buy a new heatsink fan when I overclock it. I've made my computer very quiet. I would like to keep it that way when I go to OC my new setup.

My current setup:
1.8a (BO stepping) retail HSF with Arctic Silver 3
Ausus P4T-E
2x256 PC800 RAMBUS
Enermax 350W
LianLi PC65 - replaced all the stock fans with Panaflow L1A

MBM5 temps not OCed:
CPU 31idle 41load
Mobo 29idle 31load

New setup:
Keeping the 1.8a
Asus P4PE
512MB 3200XMS

What potential does this setup have? If I want to bump up the FSB to 135 would I have to replace the stock HSF?

I'm assuming a 1.8a refers to a P4 Northwood?

At anyrate, I would recommend using the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ for it as you can adj the fan speed and it is a great heatsink and fan.
Heatsink is 100% solid copper and the fan is 80mm and runs off the PSU so you won't risk blowing a motherboard header.
Here's a link for you to check out.
Thermaltake Volcano 7+ for P4 or AMD XP

Hope that helps.

I would suggest that u look into improving your case airflow first (if you're concerned with noise). A blowhole in the side of the case feeding the cpu hsf cool air can lower your temps by lots, while staying quiet (depends on fan). I've got a P4 1.6A o'ced to 2.24 with the stock hs (Xeon 5K fan - 2C lower than stock), and my load temps are 41C while the ambient is around 32~33C. Without the blowhole, it rises to 48C.

i dont know anyting about pentiums, but if thermalright heatsinks fit than go to svcompucycle and pick up a sk-6+ for $10, a sk-7 for $20, or a slk-800 for $30, cant beat this deal.

I suggest an AX-478, it's one of the best both in performance and ease of use. (I don't recommend the volcano7+ because it has issues with the socket 478 retention bracket and seating properly)

PS welcome to the forums M8 :cool:

Good News!

I replaced the rear exhaust fan with a Tornado. I soldered a Zalman Fan Mate to it so I could control the damm thing. Right now the Tornado is at 3000RPMs. Its lot louder than it used to be but my temps went way down.

Before: load 41C/ 31C

Now: load 36C/ 28C

I'm going to replace the 2 intake L1As I have with the stock fans to see if my temps go down even more.

Back