• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Restarts Automatically

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

I'm having quite an annoying problem here. My computer spontaneously restarts. So far it's restarted during an uninstall, and a couple of times gaming. Anyone know what causes these problems or how I can figure out what's wrong? It's a brand new system that I've just built (specs in sig).

Thanks a lot for the help
-Ish-

Random reboots can be a symptom of a bad PSU. Check your voltages in the BIOS.

Also, run a RAM tester and see if your RAM is good or not.

like what was said above, a bad power supply will give you random restarts. What psu are you using (brand/power rating)?

It's a 400watt no name power supply that came with my case. Before I go buy another PSU, is there any way I can be sure that the psu is what's causing the problems? Or how about the RAM. The ram is Corsair 512 PC2700.

Thanks a lot for the responses!
-Ish-

what's the OS? xp? 2k?

make sure the auto reboot on error "feature" is turned off.

right click on my computer-->properties-->advanced-->start up and recovery[settings]-->system failure[untick automatically restart].

that might not fix the cause of the problem, but it should allow you to read the error message on a BSOD.
or you might not even get a BSOD. sometimes the cause of a restart can be so minor that it won't even register, but when you have the auto reboot turned on, it triggers it and it reboots.

Thanks a lot looktall and others,
I think that's what the problem was, because when I was finished starting up again, I was asked to send error reports to Microsoft as would happen on a normal bsod. I'll test this out and see how it works.

Thanks again!
-Ish-

Back