• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This isn't really good...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Well, I have been bored for the past 2 days and have been messing around with some options for computers and such. I also have been messing around the computers around my house, and I think I killed one. I was messing around with my gateway (jabil mobo with 850 amd proc. Im thinking this is a tbird one). Anyway, I put it on a piece of wood and put the wood on my carpet and put it together. I press the start button, and I hear these beeps. About 5-8 of them pretty fast. What does this mean? If the mobo is fried or the proc, thats no big deal becuase I have been meaning to upgrade this thing for a long time, but the information in the Hard drive is VERY important. If I were to get a new mobo and chip, could I justr use the old hard drive without any big changes in it? If so how would I go about this? My dad would kill me if I lost it. Is the mobo even dead?

Well, I can't say if the HD is dead or not (I don't think so) since you couldn't even get the thing to post.

Here's a list of beep codes by BIOS makers.

If there is a hardware failure that requires you to replace something, it should be fairly simple to run without major problems. I would backup the data once you got it running again though and then re-install Windows just so that you don't have drivers for your old mobo (or whatever) still installed.

JigPu

Yea, so could I do this: If I get a new mobo (probably a refurb from newegg) Could I boot in safemode, becuase it wont be running the drivers anyway, and download all the drivers without a problem? And I will be running ok with the old harddrive?

Alright, I just did the beep code thing. I got 10 beeps. I have no idea what a CMOS shutdown Read/Write error. There are no jumpers on the mobo (cheap gateway mobo).

Read/Write errors might be related to RAM. Maybe you should try reseatting everything thing again(I bet you already have).
Try to repair it first before listening to the lil voice that says "Here's you chance to get that upgrade" j.k.:D

But I like when that voice talks to me...:D :D And I actually have a legit reason to upgrade too. Reseat the ram? I will see what that does. I have taken the ram out of the seat or anything.

Back