• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arctic silver 3 after 72hrs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shanus

Registered
I just finished building my new computer. Its a p2 2.4b on an asus p4pe with corsair pc3200 in a lian li pc61. using a swiftech mcx4000 and 50cfm sunon. Now, I've been reading around the forums that I should be aiming for temps at around 50 celcius at full load. I've overclocked my chip to fsb 151 at 1.5v, and my full load temps are at 55 celcius. Will the 72hrs allow the as3 to 'settle', and drop this down to around 50? If not, is 55 acceptable?

Thanx
shane

55°C is more than acceptable for a P4. It should drop a little bit more after the AS3 has fully cured. I wouldn't expect to get 5°C lower, but it's entirely possible.

like CM said, that temp is fine right now and will drop once the AS3 finally starts to settle. One important note is that the 72 hours is the minimum and it could take up to 200 hours to finally settle in. so if you don't see it after the first 3 days, give it till the end of the week.

NAS

would even 65 still be good? sorry if this sounds too whiney. This is my first overclocking setup, and i don't want to kill the cpu

there was some other dude wit a p4pe who said their temps were like super high but they tried the chip in another mobo the temps were down like 15-20 c.. so ur temps may not b reading correctly or the mobo is overvolting the cpu.. check in bios what it says for real vcore voltage

max

Right now i have it at 155fsb at 1.65v. the vcore voltage moves between 1.63 and 1.68 volts. The bios cpu temp was 55 celsius, but that was soon after I encoded some of a divx file. Measuring with asus probe, my voltage is 1.616 under folding, and sometimes 1.6 under prime95. Generally under load, it drops. Now, under load with folding, asus probe reports cpu temp 57, mb temp 44.

shane

asus boards are known for having high temperature readings.. some have been reported to have had even 10-15 C over the actual temperature.. so I wouldn't be too worried..

At least my rule when overclocking has always been that you shouldn't care about the temperature as long as the computer is stable.. even if it would "kill" the cpu it wouldn't do so before maybe 3-4 years anyways.. and at that point you have upgraded long ago anyways.. I'd say if it works you shouldn't care about it .. remember that the temp is only a number, what's important is if the computer works or not.. :D

thanx for that. right now i have problems with virtualdub. i have a post in the intel cpu's section. It is the only program crashing, so i have to run it back at stock.

oh, and as to the performance of the arctic silver..

from arcticsilver.com

"Due to the unique shape and sizes of the silver particles in Arctic Silver 3, it will take a minimum of 72 hours, and as many as 200 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) The CPU's temperature will drop as much as 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period."

So yes, it is possible that your CPU temp will go down with up to 5 C within the next days.. :)

Right now i have it at 155fsb at 1.65v.

now i dont oc p4's too much (have only oced a p4 2.0a to 2.5ghz for my dad), but i know that if you raise the voltage above 1.6v, you are risking the life of your CPU DRASTICALLY.

all i am saying is if your cpu suddenly dies in a few months, dont be incredibly surprised

well I have had my celeron II running at quite high voltage for more than 2 years now.. still working as a charm.. go figure eh?

The CPUs are designed to last for at least 7-8 years.. so even if you would cut that life time by half when overclocking, you would still have 3-4 years. And as for the voltage, yes.. of course if you put it way to high you will fry your CPU.. but that will happen in an instant, not after a couple of days. If the CPU is working without crashing and you have somewhat good cooling, you should be good to go for a couple of years..

my amd temps dropped by 7 deg c! before i was using normal white thermal grese too.

sirtoby said:
asus boards are known for having high temperature readings.. some have been reported to have had even 10-15 C over the actual temperature.. so I wouldn't be too worried..

Actually, it's the other way around. The Asus boards report lower than your actual temp.

shanus said:
I just finished building my new computer. Its a p2 2.4b on an asus p4pe with corsair pc3200 in a lian li pc61. using a swiftech mcx4000 and 50cfm sunon. Now, I've been reading around the forums that I should be aiming for temps at around 50 celcius at full load. I've overclocked my chip to fsb 151 at 1.5v, and my full load temps are at 55 celcius. Will the 72hrs allow the as3 to 'settle', and drop this down to around 50? If not, is 55 acceptable?

Thanx
shane

Just one quick point make sure it is a nice even thin layer.
I made a mistake of putting a thickist layer on and after a few days my temps shot up. Scraped it off and re-applied and took about 5C off. You wouldnt think that a thinner layer works better but believe me it does.

Back