• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how fast is ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No it's not if those operations are run in parallel. Like a cpu or video chip having multiple registers each processing data simultaneously.

Hz is a measure of frequency while operations per second is a measure of data throughput.

it's only one cpu i was just wondering, cuz there's a fighter jet that use's a 10.5ghz chip for stuff. im sure there is more jet's with faster cpus. actually i know there are :p

oh btw that jet has had the cpu since 1998 and probably before that.

DDR-PIII said:
How many gz is 10 & 1/2 Billion operations/sec ?

There's no way to tell, you need more information on the chip. But remember the original DEC Alpha CPU from 1992? 500mhz and 64 bit when 33mhz/32 bit was the thing to have.

There is INCREDIBLY technology out there. We're nowhere near the forefront of it.

I beg to differ with Jeff. The government (military) has tough requirements for operating temperatures (165 C card edge temp) and very high shock and vibration requirements. The chips generally are ceramic (plastic won't hack it) substrates to maintain those environmental requirements. Therefore, their clock rates lag way behind commercial stuff. I'm talking order of magnitude. Commercial 2.5 Ghz, Military 200 Mhz for weapons systems.

DDR-PIII said:
How many gz is 10 & 1/2 Billion operations/sec ?

I agree with the others. Thats no way to measure a processors power. What kind of operations? How big are they? How long are the operations? That's like saying I can lift 6 weights. 10lbs each? 100lbs each? 1 ton each?

But I wonder. Could a tbred run 10.5 billion operations a second? I bet it could. I would even go as far as to say a 266MHz P2 could run the same... depending on how large each of these operations are of course.

I live and work on a submarine, and I know for a fact my desktop could easily handle all the computational needs of SONAR, fire control, navigation, data processing, and ships control. Heck, our navigation systems is so acurate that it doesn't belive GPS half the time and is running off a 90 Mhz SPARC processor. Belive me, it is amazing how far behind the the times the Navy is. When this stuff was first conceptualized, it was state of the art. The problem is that it takes so long for development and testing, by the time it is actually implemented it's ancient.

UberBlue said:
The problem is that it takes so long for development and testing, by the time it is actually implemented it's ancient.

Yeah, I was on an Arleigh Burke DDG until 2001 and the stuff then was state of the art for militaries around the world but far behind commercial technology. The UYK-44 fire control computers (the heart of the AEGIS combat system) had the processing power of a quad Pentium 120 equivalent. Yes, I know there's no such thing, but I'm making a theoretical comparison. But the UYK-44s were designed in the mid-1980s. In 1985, a quad P-120 would've been a screaming machine.

From design to implementation is a long road, so military front line tech is aways a ways behind rest-of-world stuff. But this applies to militaries across the board, so don't worry about your US tax dollars being spent on old tech that can't keep up with the rest of the world.

You do have to admit it some pretty robust stuff. In four years of 24/7 running, I've seen one of my six computers take a dump and the tech reps never did figure out what caused it. The techies tell me that some dude holed up in Montana wrote from scratch all of the programing for NAV CENTER. I wish Windows was that stable.......

It is amazing how the goverment can work sometimes

500mhz in 1992 is unheard of,

Back