• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial or samsung? plz help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arthas76

Registered
Hello all, this is the last component i need for my new machine and really need some help choosing. the samsung is OOS at newegg so should i wait for it or just go with the crucial? they are about the same price...will the crucial run at CAS2 like the samsung?

Samsung Original DDR333 PC-2700 512mb CAS2.5 - OEM Version
DDR 333MHz True PC 2700 chip (Not over clock from PC-2100 chip)

OR

CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM - OEM
184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered Non Parity 2.5V, CT6464Z335 Requires DDR supported Motherboard - Lifetime Warranty. OEM

thanks in advance!

Well, crucial got its reputation because its pc2100 sticks are often capable of running in excess of pc2700 speeds. I don't know how well their pc2700 does.
If you plan on running them at 166mhz, then either of those should be fine, and will probably be capable of running at a lower latency, too.
On the other hand, if you plan on overclocking, or running the memory above 166mhz in any way, I would suggest pc3200. The best pc3200 is the Corsair XMS. I highly reccomend it anyways, because Barton AMD chips will come in a 200fsb version, and you'll need pc3200 or better to run with that if you upgrade.

How about Kingston Value Ram PC2700? Just baught me a stick from www.googlegear.com for 132.50 2nd day shipping. Couple of members(larva included) have had very very very good results with the Value Ram.

For the more expensive brands, the Original Samsung or Corsair's cas2 will do nicely.

That should do fine, too. If you are just trying to run it at 166 mhz, kingston, kingmax, crucial, micron, corsair, samsung, or winbond should all be just fine. A couple of these companies make pc3200 as well.

Not I. I'll only use Crucial in stock rigs and Corsair in overclocked ones. Both companies have a track record of producing high quality, industry leading products and back them with great customer service. I myself have tested Corsair's when I had to RMA my original stick of XMS3200 to them. They ship the replacement back by 3day Air which is really nice.

~THT

tophat: nice...thanks for the advice. have you been able to get your crucial DDR to run stably at CAS2?

im definitely leaning towards the crucial since the samsung is still sold out at newegg and i can get the crucial for 132.XX + tax.

Yep, every stick of Crucial memory that I've handled does 133MHz at CAS2 and I've purchased about 20 sticks in the past year or so. The sticks in my back up rig run 166MHz C2 3-3-6 1T without a problem but require 2.8vdimm to do it.

~THT

Yeah. Crucial loves voltage. And ram chips are essentially safe up to 2.8V.
Some people have pc2100 Crucial chips that hit 190+fsb. The slowest crucial pc2100 I've seen hit 145fsb.

Back