• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tbred-a, multiplier and misc q's.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass

okay, so just gotten my tax refund and all, i went and brought home a 1800xp tbred-a, i needed something beefier than my duron(for divx encoding from tv, i needed just a bit more of beef.)

i got a pesky soltek 75kav, 512mb sdram+ bunch of cards(tv-in, mpeg2 decoder, soundcard, 2 nics.. ). i was unwilling to move to ddr mem, as it would have been an extra 250$ easily. i might do it later though.

so i get home and check the codes and conclude that it's a tbred-a(i didn't really care if it was a or b, since the other option would have been buying palomino..which would have been 3€ cheaper.)

so i just stick it in without doing any changes on my mobo settings, thinking it will post at 1533mhz. well, it posted at 8.5*133mhz instead, the setting i had on for my duron(stock 1ghz morgan).
so i start experimenting.. and figure out that all multipliers up to 12.5x(not tried higher yet or have no idea if it will work, will test soon) work without ANY tinkering with the cpu, so whats up, are they all like this?my mobo won't go over 141mhz fsb so i'm running it at 141*12.5 now..

anyways, i'm off to try something else now.. as i just noticed something <grin>

edit:

so. how do i get 13x/14x multipliers working, or is it even possible?
(now i get 5x when i set it to 14x).. time for some googling i guess..

Last edited:
if the board will support it and might need a bios flash to the newest one possable. u will need most likley to connect the pins on the 5th L3. this higher multis i think as i dont knwo what mobo u using.the tbreds come unlocked tho.
the unlocking guides explain more in detail.the stickys on top of the amd forum.

can relax the timings on the ram might get higher fsb.

I'm pretty sure Glass is right. Although I would recommend trying for the higher FSB lower mult at all costs. And i'm sure so would everyone else.

well, i think it's not memory that's limiting, nor the chipset even.. i think it's some pci device that's not holding up, since i'll run into a wall upping fsb with lower pci divisor at around ~114mhz(i don't remember right now exact number), with higher easily to 141 but then *bam*.

the mobo supports higher multi.. i'll see if i leave it running like this until new years and toy around with it after that.

edit: oh yeah, the codes on cpu:
axda 1800lt3c
rirga 0232 bpmw

ok i grabbed my battery charger, and took my multimeters sense wires( needle like ends). and went ahead and burnt the bridges so that the multiplier is 13.5 now(it was real easy, though, one should make sure that it really burnt the bridge, and not trust just seeing a flash). name string shows athlon 2200xp.
~1818mhz.

strange things happen though, which i blame my psu or mobo.
it won't post if i directly set it to 13.5*133 with dip's. BUT if i set it to 124, and up from the bios to 10mhz over what's dipped, it will boot like nothing and stay up too(this should be essentially SAME as 13.5*133 with dips, as it results in the clocks being the same..).

now.. only if somebody gave me free 512mb ddr ;)

Back