• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im in need of a motherboard to go with this case, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's a lovely new motherboard that has very capable onboard graphics (which will save you some money until you can afford a top of the line one).
Sapphire ATI-A3 = $62

It supports PC2100 DDR RAM and should support all of the newest Socket A Processors.

The nforce boards from MSI also have onboard graphics...Geforce MX integrated. But in the long run your better off getting something this refurb. gigabyte mobo and buying a used 40 G2 GTS, or G2 Ti. Integrated graphics are IMHO completely horrible and only cause trouble.

BTW the gigabyte board is one of the fastest KT333 mobo's out there. With that, a G2 64mb, and 256mb pc2100 you will be smoking fast...for a very resonable price.

NO LIFE said:
Integrated graphics are IMHO completely horrible and only cause trouble.

He hasn't given me any idication of what his budget is. So I'm just recommending the most cost-effective one. If he can wait and has the budget I think he should either go for a KT400 board now, or an nForce2 board as soon as all their kinks have been smoothed out.

The one board I have with integrated graphics is suprisingly capable. My secondary machine is powered by an nForce 220D IGP which is on-par performance wise with an original Geforce 2. It plays UT2k3 suprisingly well (and it's very very stable).

The Sapphire ATI-A3 has an IGP that has numerous architecture features taken from the 8500LE and it's performance level is comparable to a Geforce 3 Ti200 (despite it's lower speed shared memory).

Also you might want to take a gander over here
Cheiftec Mid-Towers

IF you are spending that cash anyway, might at well see what else is out there. These cases will also give you more room inside to route your cables.

Good luck you with on the boards suggested:)

Slug dont you mean Nforce2 now and kt400 after it gets the kinks out. Right now a kt333 vs. kt400 with same mem....the kt333 would win. Nforce2 blows away KT400 hands down anyway. Right now I would only get KT400 if I couldnt live without a Via chipset that has agp 8x capabilities, and thats not smart at all. However, the nofrce2 does still have some issues that arise with any 1st genration mobo. So I would recommend KT333 or nforce2.

-JP

yes, sorry i forgot to mention my budget. My budget is 180-200 dollars (already stretching it, my fams in a tite squeeze this year cuz of the bad economy) The 180-200 is including the tower.

Also i have the PCI GF4 MX 420 that i wil be able to use for a while before a new vid card. If any case i do wanna upgrade ill sell it for probably $50 or $40 and get a 440 or somthing.

those are nice links to cases, but i cant buy stuff online. I dont have a Cred card and parents wont lemme use theirs ever. But maybe if u find one of these in a local store too then i can pricematch it if they lemme.

BTW i dont wanna get that saphire cuz it only has 3 PCI slots. thats one of the main reasons im upgrading (other is for the AGP slot)

Offline shopping it will be really hard to find most of this hardware unless you have a very good computer store near-by that has many geeks/nerds employed. Dont plan on getting these things at compusa or best buy. Even if they do have it the product will be retail...not OEM...meaning it will cost more:( .

-JP

With that kind of a budget you're not going to be able to improve your current situation much. I suggest saving up more until it will actually be worth the investment. ($200 doesn't get you much further than where you're at right now).
Sacrificing quality for your budget restrictions will ALWAYS come back to bite you when PCs are involved.

Last edited:
Lucky kid....I want a computer store near my house!!(damn you staples:mad: )

Anyway Captain Slug 110% correct. Save up your money until you just cant stand your current setup another minute....then wait 2 weeks for a few more dollars and go buy the stuff.

-JP

BAH, Im not allowed at Frys nemore. But, that's a whole 'nother story. However, they do have quality components at reasonable prices from what I remember. You shouldn't have a problem finding what you need there.

Having said that. Save up some more. You will wish you had speant thw money on a gun and a single bullet if you rush into a new computer with a tight budget.

Back