• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MBM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why is it this temp drops when I lower the speed on my Volcano 7+? When i'm runing V 7+ at highest rpm MBM reports temps of 32C maybe IC lower when I have it runing at Medium, but as soon as I turn it down to low (did that tonight for first time) it drops to 28C.

High=MB 32-33C CPU 42C idle 44-45C load
Med=MB 31-32C CPU 43C idle 45-47C load
Low=MB 28-29C CPU 46C idle 51-52C load

the lower temperature being reported is the temperature inside of your case - it can be read from various places, sometimes directly from your motherboard. either way it is your case temp. the reason it would report lower temperatures when you turn down the fan is because you are adding less heat to the air in the case. You explain it right here:

High=MB 32-33C CPU 42C idle 44-45C load
Med=MB 31-32C CPU 43C idle 45-47C load
Low=MB 28-29C CPU 46C idle 51-52C load

The energy (heat) that is not in the air, has to be somewhere, so where is it? its in your cpu/heatsink. so when your cpu has more energy (heat), then the air in the case has less energy (heat). Notice how there are 4 degrees difference between your high and low MB temps. There are also 4 degrees different in your cpu idle temps. makes sense, right? cheers :beer:

Back