• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this underclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkman

I'm new at this so please bear with me. I have a Biostar mobo M5ATD that will support up to AMD K6-2 366 however I can't find a 366 anywhere but I can get an K6-2 500 for $140- (AUD - about $70 US) Can I run it on the old mobo? Can I flash the BIOS up to 100 on the old mobo & not kill it? Can I "overclock" the mobo?Any advice would be welcome.

the processor itself is what actually sets the frequency multiplier...
you just tell it what you WANT it to do--it will do whatever the hell IT wants

I think that if you set the freq multiplier to 2x, the k6-2 interprets it as 6x...so experiment with it and see if you can get the processor to 500MHz

good luck

I gather this means that the 500cpu will run on the older mobo & I just have to play around with the jumper settings & the BIOS to see how much I can actually squeeze out of it?

If you have to run a 500 at 366, then it will work. You have to set multipliers on those boards with the K6-2 line of processors, but I thing hes right about 2x also being a higher multiple like 5x.

Back