• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mmmm... weird stuff with ATI drivers...??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

Every time I re-install my ati drivers for my radeon 8500, be it the same, newer or older drivers, when I go into the displays panel or whatever it's called, it shows 2 monitors activated instead of one, both at my resolution, 1280x1024, the first one at 85hz, which is correct, and the second, nonexistent one at 60hz. But I only have the first monitor! If I disable the second one, nothing happens. Oh, and this happens also if I only reinstall the Control Panel, doesn't have to be the drivers. Does this happen to anyone else? And does it hurt performance to turn the second one off? I always turn it off when I reinstall drivers, but I don't know... help...:(

I'm not shure... My brother has a Radeon 8500 AIW and I'm not shure if it always happens everytime I update his drivers, Firstly, if you dont have a seccond monitor, desable it! It will never hurt your derformance! I'm not to shure why it even gets enabled everytime you reinstall something either....

i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but ATI used to have a lot of problems with drivers didn't they?

The second monitor is for TV out, it is disabled by default (meaning if you hook up a TV or second monitor it wont display anything until you go into advanced settings for the first monitor, click the displays tab and enable the second monitor) but regardless of weither it is turned on or not it will still show both monitors. AFAIK the only time you won't see 2 monitors in there is when you are using windows drivers.

Just ignore it for now, but if/when you use TV out (or a second monitor if your card supports it) it is an easy way to configure the resolution, refresh rate and weither it should be treated as a seperate monitor or display the same thing as your primary monitor.

ya they had crapy drivers long time ago still got my old aiw march 64 4mb the driver sucks crap! its still in my p1 lol i also found out that my 2nd hdd in the p1 just got fired!:D

Weird. I never had a problem with this using my 8500 retail. Perhaps the settings you use are saved in a file when you uninstall the driver? I'd just play around with the settings until it's fixed. Maybe try the card in another computer and see if you have the same problem? If you don't for sure a clean OS install would fix it. That's good to do every now and again anyhow.

Best of luck & merry xmas! :santa:

Back