Registered

brand important?

if i do not plan on overclocking my ram, and i dont, how much difference does it make to buy something like corsair over something generic?

Well, I doubt you'd see any performance difference at the same stock speed however with Corsair/Crucial, you do have a lifetime warranty covering the product. Personally, when I'm not overclocking, I use Crucial memory because it performs well, is backed by that warranty and is only a bit more expensive than generic/house brand stuff.

~THT

performance wise if you're not overclocking, i doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the 2 sticks, although beware, REALLY cheap memory sometimes can be the cause of some bad crashes and freezups on your PC.

getting some decent Crucial, or Kingston Value RAM isnt THAT much more than buying generic, a mistake that i havent made since i started building PC's.

like Top Hat Theater said, its worth the extra $$ just for the lifetime warranty in my opinion!

Gizmo

Registered
    I agree with what they other two said. With Crucial or Kingston you know you are getting quality RAM. It may cost you a bit more intially but you do not have to worry about the RAM going bad on you and having to spend more money.

Yep, I overclock with my Crucial and it performs great, I never had any worries about it and never will...

Registered
    well, i can get generic with a lifetime warrantee. is the performance any worse if im not OCing it? or is brand just an issue of stability?

dude, just dont buy generic stuff no matter if you want to oc or not, crappy pcbs lead to unstability and a bit less performance, just go with crucial...

bomberbear that avatar r0x0rz!!!
    Intel C2D e8400 @ 1.3625v 445x9=4005MHz 38I-48L /AS5/XIGMATEK HDT-S1283/Blue Yate Loon 120mm - Asus P5Q3 - 4x2GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC10666 CAS 9-9-9-24 @ 1.6v DDR3 890 - Corsair 64GB SSD - nVidia GTX260 896MB @ Stock - SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - LG DVDRW Combo - Modded Lian Li PC-7B case - 500W Seasonic S12-500 PSU - 4 x 120mm Blue Yate Loon fans
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/620734.png
    NOT FOLDING and Ethical OverClocker Samsung 22" 2ms n2750w Gaming LCD :cool: "Your eyes will thank you" R.I.P. GeForce3

Yeah sounds like you'd be good with Crucial. I not an extreame overclocker but my unlocked 1800+ runs at 1.69ghz with PC2100 Crucial. I've used crucial for quite sometime now and they've always served me really well.