• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think is the most unreliable part?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

For me it seems to be compact disk drives whatever flavor be it cdrw or cdrom, or dvd.

Why don't they last anymore? 1year seems to be the limit on theese drives.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the higher speeds required in todays drives.
I have a 52x cd; a 8x4x cdrw; and a dvd drive all less than 1 year old sitting in the "lost investment" pile.

A word to the wise....Keep your recipts!

BTW, this is not a rant, I just want to know what peeves you off in the peripheral department.
Merry Christmas!

I agree with DocClock. I see more failed optical drives than anything else. Generic or off-brand models are the worst (even those reported to use a Lite-On drive) but even top end name brands don't last as long as they used to.

BHD

Well... I'm not sure I'd call them components, but probably fans. Then next maybe power supplies. The interesting thing is you can avoid most of these failures if you buy better quality components. That's what I get for being a cheapskate, I guess.

PSUs definitely. I have yet to have a CD drive die that wasnt abused. I have had quite a few PSUs die on me for no other reason than normal usage.

You guys are having bad luck with optical drives then

I my only failed drives are the ones I took apart for a mod that didn't work.

I have 6 CD rom drive ranging from 8X - 52X 2 CD RW 8X - 32X
1 DVD rom 16X admittingly the DVD rom is not yet a year but it is comming close,

my most unreliable product would be headphones! I have to replace my headphones every 6 months, lucky I have sony's replacment plan and I can trade them it at no cost to me.

I don't even abuse my head phones, I use them while gaming, and have them at the head of my bed at night when I watch a DVD and want the sound low so I don't wake people up

hmmm mabey im odd,but floppys always die on me.or will only work in one system and not my other one.

as unrelaibilty go keyboards are up there also.but thats becouse now they are made so cheap and we dont clean em.

CDROM drives .. i have changed my cdrom's more than anything else in my computer, i still remember good old 2x or 4x cdroms were simply rock steady new speedy drivers are good but they just dont last that long

Hard Drives for me. The one I have been having problems with is an IBM deskstar 40gb. I bought it BEFORE I heard all about the IBM "deathstar" problems. But I am replacing it with a couple of WD's soon.

i have problems with optical drives and thats basically it, normal use and ive burnt two new ones up in three years. no modding or anything just normal use. can someone direct me to some reading i can do on the ibm deathstar problems? i just had one burn up on me the other day while i was defraging it. pos.

For me, it has been cd roms. I used to do a ton of gaming that used them for hours on end but I have burnt up more of those than any other component.

Most unreliable part of my computers?

The operator.

I have had very little die that I have any problem with: a few sticks of pc133 that were overvolted for a few years, and a few OLD hard drives (less than 2 gig) that ran on over-spec buses for a few years.

I have however, killed a chip by installing a heatsink when I was too tired to pay attention; froze my radiator killing cpu and mobo, and a few other "bonehead" moves :D

The biggest worry my hardware has is that I will mess with it some more!

Hmm, hard to say, I would proabobly go with optical drives, since 2 failed me, while every other component failed me only once.

-Acer 123212A CDRW no longer could burn CDs, I constantly got the calibrating error.
-First GEN DVD drive died on me, the laser burned out, and it only reads CDR media now, any DVD media, and the drive literally fails, you cant even boot the system if a dvd is in the drive.

The rest:
LAN card :rolleyes:
Acer 15" Monitor about 4 years ago.
Compaq PSU

Also, Floppies!!!! Good god, I had hundreds die on me. I am not kidding. And the actual floppy drives? Somewhere around P200MMX era I threw out my last floppy drive. If anyone still usess one, they are masochists.

floppy drives. they never last more then a year for me. after that would be mice, until recently i would have to replace my mouse every 3-4 months (i was very hard on them. now i have a logitec wireless optical, awsome mouse) then finally keyboards, i never had one last more then 6 months.

seems like optical drives lead the pack, followed by floppy drives... i don't use my floppy but to save a document on there every once in a while... who uses theirs enough for it to go bad? :)

I have a real problem with the batteries in my mouse always going KAPUTZ when I frag. Anyone know where I can get some that won't do that??

Back