• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 60MHz @ ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah-ha, so -- I can't overclock it to anything useful...guess its back to figuring out what to do with it... :/

Hmm...I was thinking of a Linux box...

An MP3 server would be interesting. I was trying to make it play MP3's thorough the speaker, but the PC is such crap that it doesnt work!! Ahh, well...a server is good enough.

I had a P-60 system... larva is right. 60 or 66 FSB selection on the motherboard... no multipliers, just syncronous with the bus. The later motherboards added a 1.5x multiplier for the P-90 and even later the P-100. 50MHz FSB wasn't an option on the old boards because if you remember, the P-75 that ran on the 50MHz bus came after the 60, 66, and even the 90. I did overclock my P-60 to 66MHz but it ran really hot and I didn't wanna harm it since it was such an expensive chip so I put it back. A year or two later I paid about $250 for an Intel Overdrive processor and set my bus back up to 66MHz, which upgraded my system to a P-133 and gave a pretty good speed boost. The system was still in use until recently when the keyboard controller gave out. Any way to fix this? Dunno, but since this 120/133 Overdrive processor wasn't being used anymore I was gonna put it on Ebay. I don't have 100 posts so I can't use the classifieds here yet. :(

-IronPlasma

Robbie said:

PCI USB card. Then get a USB keyboard?!?!
Rob
That might even be a stretch, since the cpu is so slow that it may not be fast enough to run the usb card properly. You may be able to find another socket 7 mobo for the case and go from there. What socket is that mobo? If it is already socket 7 and has jumpers to set the multiplier and fsb then you could probably throw a P133 or so in there and get enough out of it to at least make the comp somewhat useful. As it is, that 60mhz cpu is so slow that it cannot even run even the most basic of games properly. Keep poking around and checking out the mobo and you may find the jumpers that you are looking for to make the comp more useful.

Robbie said:

PCI USB card. Then get a USB keyboard?!?!
Rob
I thought of that, but unfortunately...

No working keyboard controller... so no keyboard detected... so computer won't boot up... so I can't get into the OS to install drivers for a USB PCI card or configure the BIOS. :p

Last thing I see is:
Keyboard... Not Detected

And that's where it stops. I can restart the system with the reset switch to see the error over and over again but can't do anything about it.

Any other ideas Rob?!?! ;)

Unless you know of a way to get the USB card to override the system BIOS and emulate a keyboard to the BIOS and work without any USB drivers...

-IronPlasma

TUK101 said:
That might even be a stretch, since the cpu is so slow that it may not be fast enough to run the usb card properly. You may be able to find another socket 7 mobo for the case and go from there. What socket is that mobo? If it is already socket 7 and has jumpers to set the multiplier and fsb then you could probably throw a P133 or so in there and get enough out of it to at least make the comp somewhat useful. As it is, that 60mhz cpu is so slow that it cannot even run even the most basic of games properly. Keep poking around and checking out the mobo and you may find the jumpers that you are looking for to make the comp more useful.
He was talking about the USB card for the system I had, which is a P-133 Overdrive.

No Socket 7 on these boards TUK... they are ancient. Not even Socket 5... we are talking Socket 4 here. No multiplier jumpers, and the only FSB selections are 60 and 66. No multiplier jumpers were needed since the only CPU's were the 60 and 66 at the time so the multiplier was always 1x.

-IronPlasma

Hummm........ Dump the CMOS?!?! That might be a start but..... probably won't get you anywere cuz hault on error is probaby set to enable as default.
Rob

flounder43 i have sean Compaq with specal boot and i had to do a low level format to make it work with a anther computer.
This dos not mean that all Compaq are this way.

Robbie said:
Hummm........ Dump the CMOS?!?! That might be a start but..... probably won't get you anywere cuz hault on error is probaby set to enable as default.
Rob
Yep, I don't even believe this old AMIBIOS has a selection for halting on errors. So even if I could access the BIOS, I couldn't disable the option anyway. :eek:

IronPlasma, the solution is to pay for shipping and I'll send you my old mobo with a P-75 on it for free. It was pulled from a working computer last spring. I'm about ready to throw it in the trash, since nobody around here wants it. Been throwing all my 486 stuff away too. If anyone wants a 486 CPU keyring, let me know. I'm building my last 2 AT machines from parts in my parts box and want to get rid of all the rest of the antique junk. If anyone is looking for old stuff, let me know, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

IronPlasma said:

He was talking about the USB card for the system I had, which is a P-133 Overdrive.

No Socket 7 on these boards TUK... they are ancient. Not even Socket 5... we are talking Socket 4 here. No multiplier jumpers, and the only FSB selections are 60 and 66. No multiplier jumpers were needed since the only CPU's were the 60 and 66 at the time so the multiplier was always 1x.

-IronPlasma
LOL, well then it still sounds like he may want to find another board. Thanks for pointing out my mistake though. I have been putting together and repairing a ton of these old systems as of late. My mother and father in law run a church and use a lot of old computers for typing up sermons etc. and I have been upgrading thier old computers to get a little more life out of them.

batboy said:
IronPlasma, the solution is to pay for shipping and I'll send you my old mobo with a P-75 on it for free. It was pulled from a working computer last spring. I'm about ready to throw it in the trash, since nobody around here wants it. Been throwing all my 486 stuff away too. If anyone wants a 486 CPU keyring, let me know. I'm building my last 2 AT machines from parts in my parts box and want to get rid of all the rest of the antique junk. If anyone is looking for old stuff, let me know, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

Thanks for the offer batboy. I ended up replacing the motherboard with an old 430TX board and a 233MMX for my aunt. Now I just have the mobo here with the dead keyboard controller and a working Pentium 133 Overdrive with 48MB of FPM RAM on it.

I know how you feel. I have other old hardware laying around too, not enough to build a whole PC out of though. It's hard to find anyone who wants the stuff, but I don't want to just trash it. And it's almost not worth the time/effort to auction it.

Socket 4 and no settings? I have a socket 3 "486/586" mainboard, and has multi's up to 4, and fsb's from 25 to 50mhz.
I ran an AMD K5-133 @150 on it for years..it is supposed to be 4x33, but I ran it at 3x50...I'll attach a pic of the silksceen settings so you can know what to look for.

Edit: sorry the pic is so small, but I could not get it to upload any larger

DocClock aka MadClocker said:
Socket 4 and no settings? I have a socket 3 "486/586" mainboard, and has multi's up to 4, and fsb's from 25 to 50mhz.
I ran an AMD K5-133 @150 on it for years..it is supposed to be 4x33, but I ran it at 3x50...I'll attach a pic of the silksceen settings so you can know what to look for.

Edit: sorry the pic is so small, but I could not get it to upload any larger
Right, but your 486/586 motherboard was probably built at a time when there was multiple speeds of 486/586 CPUs available. So the board needed the multipliers since you had a lot of different options for CPUs you could put in there.

My (and probably his too) Socket 4 board was built at a time when the only available CPUs for them were 60 and 66MHz Pentiums. Therefore they only used a 1x multiplier and a bus selection of 60 or 66MHz. If you got a later Socket 4 board you MIGHT get a 1.5x multiplier setting for a P-90, but that's the furthest Socket 4 ever went I believe, if even that far. P-75, P-100, etc. were switched to use Socket 5.

-IronPlasma

The 60 and 66 MHz pentiums were the only of their kind. All further Pentiums (75/90/100/120/133/150/166/200) are a different socket. There was no reason for multipliers other than 1 on the P60-66 boards.

Iron, you're probably right. I didn't buy that computer, I got it from a friend, but it has no way to change the multiplier settings. I must admit, though, this computer can be used for quite a bit even though it is so old.

larva said:
The 60 and 66 MHz pentiums were the only of their kind. All further Pentiums (75/90/100/120/133/150/166/200) are a different socket. There was no reason for multipliers other than 1 on the P60-66 boards.
Yeah that's what I suspected. 75-200 used Socket 5 then Socket 7 added support for the MMX CPUs. Hard to believe Socket 4 only accepted 60 and 66MHz CPUs while Socket 5 accepted 75-200MHz CPUs, but I got to find that out first hand. :( Us early adopters really got screwed... :mad: ...but I learned my lesson early. ;)

-IronPlasma

Back