• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 60MHz @ ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twist

I have an old compaq pc that I want to possibly overclock?

Specs:
6GB WD Hard Drive
No Video/Sound Cards (only system sound!)
64MB Kingston RAM (very old, 4 chips, 16MB x 4)
Pentium 60MHz
Compaq Motherboard (I believe, any help here?)

If I remember correctly, those Compaq's were pretty proprietary. Trying to upgrade ANY of the hardware may not really be worth the cost.
$.02
Rob

Hm...interesting...

But I want to try it and see how much it will cost me...

So all help is appreciated

Well if you would like to upgrade the memory (let's say) you could goto crucials site and plug in what type of system you have and it will give you a list to choose from with prices.

www.crucial.com is the site. (I believe)
I hope that helps.
Rob

sounds like that pc has already has memory and hard drive upgrade. Any idea what motherboard make and model you have? Any overclocking will probably have to be done using jumpers

Well, there's probably not much you can do with that motherboard. You'll need to write down any model numbers down off the mobo and see if you can find a manual for it. Sometimes there might be multiplier and/or system frequency (FSB) jumper tables silk screened on the mobo somewhere. That's your only hope is that you can change jumpers.

I've never worked on a 60 MHz Pentium. I was thinking those old mobos sometimes had jumpers for 50 or 60 FSB and maybe 1X, or 1.5X jumper settings. If you actually luck out and have adjustable jumpers, then probably the highest setting is 1.5X60=90 MHz. I don't think many of those first generation Pentiums would even do that, so you might have to settle for 1.5X50=75 MHz.

The trouble is if you try to upgrade, (like Robbie said) Compaq uses a proprietary system where nothing is standard and even the power supply is usually an oddball. I have an extra socket 7 mobo with a P-75 on it with settings that allow it to run at 90 MHz. I'd let it go for shipping plus a couple bucks, but it probably won't work in that system.

Yeah one thing you could do is check the jumpers and set it to 66mhz (I'm sure it would run at that)

You could MAYBE crank the FSB to the next step (it may or maynot work) But worth the try non the less.
Happy clocking.
Rob

I have a buddy with a Compaq P-166 box that has the drives removed. Was thinking he was just going to throw it away. I can check to see if he still has it and whether he wants to get rid of it. Won't see him until after Christmas though.

Robbie, some of those early Pentium mobos didn't even have a 66 FSB. Most of the really old ones only had 50 and 60 FSB jumpers. Then, some of those OEM mobos didn't have any jumpers at all. Some even soldered the CPU and/or RAM into place. Some of those Compaqs had on-board RAM (usually in the 486 days though).

Yeah I figured that much. I was just trying to help him out. Getting him to stick his head inside his case and poke around. This way he could see for himself that it might not really worth his wild to upgrade it or even that he can't upgrade it.
Rob

I wouldn't spend any money on it, but, as batboy says, you may be able to find a jumper or two to overclock it. Take a look at it and see if you can't find some indication on the motherboard for different speed settings. Maybe 75 or 90 would be a possibility.

Otherwise, it is good for parts. The HD, floppy, CDROM, PSU, cables, fans, etc.

Last edited:
unfortunately some old compaq pc's used proprietary everything except pci cards so the drives may be useless too

check it out Twist and give us an update on your progress

OK, cool. I took the PC out of the compaq case yesterday, so I can look at it in full view. I'm going to look for a manual (even though there is a silkscreen thing on the case, b/c its no help!!). Maybe I could find something -- first, and only, Pentium 60 overclock!!! Thats weird...

I'll keep you guys updated.

deez said:
unfortunately some old compaq pc's used proprietary everything except pci cards so the drives may be useless too

check it out Twist and give us an update on your progress
yes i agree but you can do a low level format on the hdd this will make it IDE compatable
i think western digitale has it on their web sight

You can't be sure, the drive is from 1993/94, old.

If you guys want, I can get a photo of the system laid out.

lclark2074 said:

yes i agree but you can do a low level format on the hdd this will make it IDE compatable
i think western digitale has it on their web sight

The drive is probably fine, I am sure it is regular IDE.

Find 1 - Pentium 60Mhz info:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/chip/pop/g5iI430LX-c.html

I can't find any info on the motherboard though. this is whats written on it (the motherboard):

SYSTEM BOARD

DIAG 004070

REPLACE W/SPARE 142838 001

ASSY 004069 -002 REV AK/AM

Those lines were all on the bottom of the motherboard, going straight across. I can't find any (good) info with it,

There are no multipliers on a P60, the motherboard and chip run syncronously at 60MHz. There were only two models of this first generation pentium, the 60 and 66MHz. Since the motherboard was likely used for either there is probably a jumper on it to change the fsb from 60 to 66MHz, and thus the on chip clock rate. There is no other way to overclock a P60, and it will make a boat-load of heat at 66MHz. The P60-66 was a 5V chip that was essentially still in development when Intel pushed it onto the market to try to obviate the AMD 486 question. They could barely run at 66MHz, much less any more. While you will pick up 10% by upping the fsb, 10% of nothing is nothing. You may have to improve the heatsink and fan to cope with the prodigous heat produced.

Rest assured this is not the first P60 overclock. Since Intel charged a king's ransom for the 66MHz chip, very few were sold. I paid $250 for my P60, and only got it that cheap because I got it second hand from somebody who didn't pay for it. It ran at 66MHz, but made ridiculous levels of heat. After growing tired of the fan noise from the machine I sold it when the real pentium was finally introduced, the 3.3V P90/100.

larva said:
There are no multipliers on a P60, the motherboard and chip run syncronously at 60MHz. There were only two models of this first generation pentium, the 60 and 66MHz. Since the motherboard was likely used for either there is probably a jumper on it to change the fsb from 60 to 66MHz, and thus the on chip clock rate. There is no other way to overclock a P60, and it will make a boat-load of heat at 66MHz. The P60-66 was a 5V chip that was essentially still in development when Intel pushed it onto the market to try to obviate the AMD 486 question. They could barely run at 66MHz, much less any more. While you will pick up 10% by upping the fsb, 10% of nothing is nothing. You may have to improve the heatsink and fan to cope with the prodigous heat produced.

Rest assured this is not the first P60 overclock. Since Intel charged a king's ransom for the 66MHz chip, very few were sold. I paid $250 for my P60, and only got it that cheap because I got it second hand from somebody who didn't pay for it. It ran at 66MHz, but made ridiculous levels of heat. After growing tired of the fan noise from the machine I sold it when the real pentium was finally introduced, the 3.3V P90/100.

Yes, indeed. Good info. It takes me back a few years, but it is all coming back to me now...

Back