• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Webpages work in AOL browser, but not IE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

I setup a test webpage ( http://canobeans.no-ip.org - not currently running...) to see if I could get a webserver working. Running nicely on my 2x366@550 celerys runnning Gentoo Linux on a 2M/350k Cable connection.

Heres the problems.

1st:
Friend has AOL and the page loads up perfectly in her AOL browser, but doesn't load at all in IE, just times out. It's a simple webpage template, w3 verified, so I don't see the problem, unless it's with AOL (problems with AOL? no way!! ;)) This happens to her on a lot of other pages, so this is also a seperate question to help her out.

2nd:
I can access my webpage from my home network using it's internal IP, but I can't access it if I use my external IP, or the no-ip address. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Did you register your domain name? Does you cable have a static or dynamic IP address for your computer?

The external IP address (dotted decimal) should work, if it's static it'd be better, but from what I've heard the dynamic ip addresses on cable modems don't change that often so you might be goot, but if you haven't registered the domain name then of course that way won't work at all since there's no listing of your computer in a DNS registry.

1. I'd say blame it on the AOL. AOL is evil. Your friend sould know that by now. :p

2. You sould be able to access the server by using the internal ip (192.168.x.x) of your network, the internet ip of your connection, and by your no-ip address. I run a server using a DSL connection and no-ip as well. I can access it fine through any method I use.

I just tried to access your website, and my MSIE also just seems to hang. I can ping you fine (73ms) and traceroutes show up fine too. I notice your on a RoadRunner network though. If I'm not mistaken, I know they like to block certain ports. That might be your problem there. But why your friend on AOL can access the page and you and I can't... you got me there.:confused:

For the first one, it is AOL stopping your friend browsing some pages, search these forums, I know the answer is here...

And second, sounds like the firewall isnt setup properly...

Have a lookie here, this is my home server, www.danfraser.co.uk, name is registered elsewhere, but uses no-ip for the dns translation and softare for updating my IP addy. I use ZApro for the firewall, Apache (the 1. something version, as 2 dunnae work on mine) as my web software and XP Pro as the OS. The most problems I had was ZApro, or getting the php software to work properly, but ZApro was a bit of a headache when I first tried to setup my first hosting.

Check your firewall, and then your web server software.

The server PC isn't on now. Need to get quieter fans ;)

But here are the details.

Roadrunner Cable with dynamic IP- changes frequently enough to warrant the http://canobeans.no-ip.org addy. There doesn't seem to be any port blocking on Roadrunner's part and router is set to forward port 80 to my Linux box running Apache.

From my internal network I can only see my page using the server's own internal IP 192.168.x.x
I can't see it using my external IP nor the canobeans.no-ip.org address.

My friend(aside from her AOL probs), and myself at work, can see it just fine using either the external IP, or the no-ip addy.

The test webserver seems to be running just fine, and everyone on the internet can see it (when it's on) so it really isn't a problem. But I still wonder why I can only use the internal IP to see the webpage from within my own network.

I have my cable router's internal IP as the DNS server address (static internal IPs). This always worked for everything else, and I wasn't sure if RR's DNS were always static IP addys.

Now that I think about it... Let me guess, I need to find Roadrunner's static DNS server addresses & use those? (or something from my list of public DNS servers? ;) )

Bah, it's probably something simple, but I've never paid much attention to networking... yet.

And, Dan, did you use that registered Domain with no-ip's free service, or did you have to use their low priced pay service with domain support?

Back