• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I found A Biggy When Overclocked High!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Well, just when I thought everything was stable (over three months now running solid at 1.5GHz without a hickup) I have found a error related to overclocking that no stability program or game has picked up to this date.

The error is related to the FSB and I think the sound card is holding me back when I raise the FSB above 141MHz. Dont get me wrong, I know 141MHz FSB is pathetic and there is no way that the sound card should give up anywhere around those frequencys.

All this lead me to not enough voltage supplied to the motherboard by the PSU. It turns out that the sound card will not function 100% with my PSU at 1500MHz and using 2.08Vcore.

Before I get to far ahead of my self, the problem that I found by overclocking was noticed with Windows Media Encoder 9. When I recorded some live radio off the net and tried to replay it back after the recording, all attempts would end with distortion and a complete waist of recording time.

This issue istantly got fixed when I droped down the FSB back to 133MHz and CPU clock to 1400MHz.

Its funny, not one stability program nore game found this error. Well I guess it was a sound card related crash anywayz but still I urge all overclockers to try out this test and see if there recordings past the rest.

You too just may need a new PSU.

For me, I gotta find a way to get back to 1.5GHz even if that means going out and splurging $150 on a new PSU.

OC-Master

man talk about a perfectionist :)
yeh i dont blame ya tho im the same way,most times anyhow.
how about just buying a differant sound card?
and try differant drivers and or programs.sounds like more of a quirk and might be fixed.

that is a killer oc on the chip,and im guessing you are pretty attched to it,im the same way with my tbird.
but spending that much to get more out of it doesnt seem cost effective.could get a new 1800tbred and new mobo for $150.

also try using a few other pci slots by moving it around.gl!

That $150 could get you a new chip that'll do 2GHz with change, or is being the top T-Bird guy a big thing?

--Illah

I dont know ocmaster. i have a soundblaster live as well and have to problems with 172 mhz fsb. I was always raised on the recording aspect of audio , especially audio streams, was mostly cpu. you sure?

Yeah, I just realized you're at 2.08 vcore for months. Extreme overvolting like that has been known to deteriorate the chip, hence deteriorating overclock-ability, no matter what the cooling. It's like a slow death type of thing.

--Illah

Illah said:
Yeah, I just realized you're at 2.08 vcore for months. Extreme overvolting like that has been known to deteriorate the chip, hence deteriorating overclock-ability, no matter what the cooling. It's like a slow death type of thing.

--Illah

Yeah, thats the only drawback from running at 1.50GHz. The need for 2.075V Core is crazy but thats what I needed to get the CPU 100% stable.

Some people have raised very good points on me to rather get a new CPU instead of a better PSU. The question is, will I need a new PSU anyway when I get me a GeForce FX??

I think for now, I will just settle for 1.4GHz and run things on the cool side.

OC-Master

Valk said:
I dont know ocmaster. i have a soundblaster live as well and have to problems with 172 mhz fsb. I was always raised on the recording aspect of audio , especially audio streams, was mostly cpu. you sure?

I totally agree with you. I think its got something to do with the soundcard and the way it interacts with the Abit mobo. I think somewhere along the lines, when my 5V rail line is too low, the soundcard begins to fail when stressed as such when recording. This is what leads me to believe my computer needs more juice to bring my overclock back up to 50% mark :)

OC-Master

Back