• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever tried this pump???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man with such pressures/force you can start your own car washing business and operate it off your PC :)

I doubt it will be as effective as 180/240gph pump.

These pumps give good head. :D But look at the watts they
dissipate? (Under the "more information" button on this page.)

Head is going to be a more important issue, especially with
the new high-turbulence water blocks. The power of these
pumps must go somewhere. Make sure you have a heater
core. :) Anyone know how much noise they make?

Yeah, these are Danner Mag 5's. They are decent pumps. As Tecumseh mentioned, power consumption is high so you would definitely be advised to run inline.

They also leak at the impeller cover when run inline. You need to remove the impeller cover and run a bead of silicone sealent to seal them. Not a big deal.

I've also heard that the inlet barb tends to crack, but that hose clamps prevent this. (I don't have a good understanding of this issue. I use clamps anyway.)

If your system can really benefit from the relatively high head of these pumps, they are a good buy.

Mine is a tad noisier than my Eheim 1250, but not bad at all. Vibration is much more of an issue, but can be taken care of by using padding when mounting the pump. (The Eheim needs the padding as well.)

You might want to take a look at the Mag 3 specs shown side by side with the Mag 5 specs here.

The Mag 3 has the same max head, but lower flowrate and lower power consumption. You can get the Mag3 somewhat cheaper too. Which one works better will depend a lot on the system it's used with.

Another thing to consider, my Mag 5 puts out much more magnetic field than my Eheim 1250. You might want to avoid these pumps if the pump must be close to your monitor. This issue seems to vary a lot from monitor to monitor though. You can install shielding to prevent this problem, but if looks are important to you, you may not want to do that. (Sliding a tin can or two over the pump would be my shielding recommendation.)

Tecumseh said:
Head is going to be a more important issue, especially with
the new high-turbulence water blocks. The power of these
pumps must go somewhere. Make sure you have a heater
core. :) Anyone know how much noise they make?

An interesting issue is that the power consumption of these pumps go down with restriction. See this ProCooling thread.

Also, I believe Cathar said that he saw no difference in CPU temps when running an Eheim 1048 vs a 1250. (I believe he said this in the monster thread at OCAU. I'm not going to go looking for it.)

Edit: Cathar was testing his White Water prototype at the time.

That was a good thread over there. To see how much power
is dissipated in a block due to the head-loss and flow thru
it see the meandering thread in the Tech Discussion section
here called "Toward a real world C/W correction Factor."

BTW, there wasn't one. :)

Much cheaper here: http://www.aquatictech.com/pumps.html

I don't know about this pump. I was looking at the maxi jets (295GPH), but I don't think it'll have strenght to push a 3/8" TC4+innovative GF4+NB blocks, out of a bucket. So I'm back to looking at these pumps...but what about noise?

Sorry to treadjack :[

aahh... take it from me guys... you really dont want more than 500GPH in a standard system. my 600gph pump puts tons of heat in the water and also causes leaks over time because it creates so much preasure.
one thing my pump would be perfect for is a bong cooler

Giblet Plus! said:
I got the 500 gph Danner from petsmart online for $50. It's still sitting on my desk, because I'm waiting for my tubing, fittings and white water block to come. :)

Whats the inlet/outlet threads on that danner?

Giblet Plus! said:
I got the 500 gph Danner from petsmart online for $50. It's still sitting on my desk, because I'm waiting for my tubing, fittings and white water block to come. :)

isn't that pump way to much??? I mean, does it ever leak or produce alot of heat??? Does it make a lot of noise?

Giblet Plus! said:
Nah, they're both 1/2" npt, just one is male and the other is female. I've ordered an adapter thingy from dtek for the female npt inlet thread. The OD on the inlet itself is 3/4"

My Pondmaster Mag5 definitely has a 3/4" barbed inlet and no female threads. Maybe the ones sold under the Pondmaster name are different than those sold under the Danner name? (I thought the only difference was the 18ft cord on the Pondmasters.)

Mine's a "Supreme Pondmaster". Maybe they've changed the impeller cover design. Maybe yours won't need silicone added to keep it from leaking. (I don't think I'd count on it.)

Does the impeller cover on yours seem to be made of a fairly brittle plastic? Or is it somewhat flexible?

Giblet Plus! said:
Mine's a "Supreme." It has a female inlet and a male outlet. In the manual it states they are both 1/2" npt. I've only tried it in my sink, but it seemed powerful and quiet.

so you havent used it in a watercooled system yet?

Back