• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cool Chips- Are these things ever gonna be released?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They're based on a technique that won't allow the electrons from the hot side to go back to the cool side, this making it much more efficient.

An ordinary peltier has an efficiency of 10%, but the coolchips are said to have an efficiency of 90%(!)

It would be fun to see if it's as godd as they say.

I emailed Cool Chips a while back and someone actually wrote this in reply:

While the exact timing depends on a number of factors, we anticipate
completing production prototypes later this year and moving to large-scale
production shortly thereafter.

Marketing is a continuous effort, and we have had discussions with many
large corporations who have expressed an interest in licensing the
technology once development is complete. Because we do not intend to sell
product directly to end users, we expect that the majority of the marketing
effort will be undertaken by those companies that incorporate Cool Chips
into their product offerings.

Best regards,

Jim Magdych
Cool Chips plc

This was my response back in August 2002...

We expect to have commercially viable prototypes within the next twelve months
or so. We would expect chips for such an application as overclocking to be
produced under license and it would therefore take a little longer for them to
get onto the open market. It partly depends on whether licensees would want to
concentrate on integrated solutions where the processor and cooling unit are
combined, or whether cooling devices would be sold separately, much as fans can
be bought today. Those decisions have not been made yet, and we would not expect
to be making them unilaterally.

Cool! Looks like they are on track then!

I wonder if pelt makers will start utilizing the new technology by the end of the year.

Wangster

I don't think they will be in used in computer cooling this year, I think more realistically they we might at the end of 2004

Personally I don't think they will be used in home cooling at all. They might be the newest thing but when you break it down they are still peltiers. They are still going to have condensation. Or so I believe anyway. I would expect to see them on aircraft systems and such where money systems is basically no object. I just think that they are high maitenance and too risky for a big company like dell or gateway to put a warranty on.

I didn't mean in computer use by companies like dell or gateway, I meant they might be used by overclockers in computer cooling by the end of 2004. Perhaps even then that will be too early. Perhaps we'll never see them. There are a few other different cooling methods in the works, I think it was in an article on the front page.

that sounds pretty cool, no pun intended. i think if they are reaching that kind of efficiency, that they could be used for reaching ambient temperature in a normal computer system, without the use of insulation, or an extra psu. im interested.

Back