• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Aqua- Have you experienced problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Via Aqua- Have you experienced problems

• Yes

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 60.4%
  • Yes, but they were very minor.

Votes: 17 16.8%

• Total voters
I've had mine for about 7 weeks. I had to swich the Rez out for a new one. When I did I cracked the outlet while trying to unscrew the fitting. Taking even more care from that point I refitted it, and went to put it in the new Rez.. at which point the plastic piece that locks the impellor in place just fell apart. I tried to unscrew it to see if I could glue the broken piece back in place. When I did the whole retaining piece just fell apart.. like rotted plastic. Just using distilled water and water wetter. I managed to clocn up the broken plastic, and recunstructing the missing plastic with Marine GOOP. The pump is still running and queit as ever.. however I do not trust it so an Eheim 1250 is on the way ;)

BòóM

well, first it was noisy, then I did the mod. then it was fixed. next, my O-ring failed so I had to epoxy it closed. and now of course, AFTER its epoxied closed it gets noisy again. time for a new pump for me :(

I'm getting the impression that the super-glue mod could just be a temporary fix. I plan to continue NOT suggesting the Via Aqua pump to anyone.

I also had a problem with the inlet cracking when I threaded on the barb And am experiencing the noise issue ..I haven't had this pump stop working on me yet but I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that the superglue mod is a temporary fix, I'd say that superglue underwater is a temporary solution. Same thing with almost any cyanoacrylate glue. Some turn to white mush, and some turn white and brittle. They just plain become useless.

Ya aughta try a real glue on it that's meant for marine use....No, I haven't tried the mod, I haven't needed too. But if I did, I'd use marine goop on a toothpick.

Just my $.02...carry on, gents!

I have each, and I can't really see a difference, just the color of the tube. All the wording on the tubes are identical.
It should work fine, since a plumbers goop is also made for continuous water contact. It held like crazy in the bottom of my bong, keeping my Danner in place.

thanks diggr. I'll try out my plumbers goop today if I find some free time

Yes I opened myne up and the super glue had become mushy. The water wetter in the water probably is disolving it. Its all fixed now. seems to be running quiet again, but not as quiet as before. hmm...

Mine has been running 24/7 for 6 months straight, with no problems (touch wood :) ). The noise isn't unbearable; right now the most noise is coming from my 120mm Panoflo fan, but its worth the noise to get good temps....I love my watercooling setup. ALl I nee right now is a nice case to put it all in, and a faster CPU to get my computer up-to-speed. Seems to me that my CPU is my limiting factor in the effeciancy and abilty to handle good games right now...

2.5 months straight use and no problems. I picked the minor problem category, the houseing near the threads is thin and cracked while I was messing with it. Nothing a little super glue couldnt take care of.

no free time today to do the mod- busy busy busy :(

Even if the marine/plumbers goop does hold it for good, I still consider this a temporary mod; it will only be of use to you as long as it takes for your NEW pump to show up :D

mine worked for 8 months. it was getting very loud so i did the superglue mod and it wasn't as bad. The end caps were very hard to put back in, and both ended up tearing making the impeller not spin any more.. basic, its not a good pump. It heats up, its loud, and i wouldn't deal with it. unless u're on a super low budget watercooling rig, don't get it...

DOH!:eek:
Wish I would have saw this before I ordered mine yesterday.
I was trying to be cheap.
Oh well at leat it was only $20, I'll try it for a wile and plan on getting the Ehiem later.

its okey, its not that bad, just save up for a ehiem to buy later. and keep a close eye on ur via for a while.
DON'T open it a lot (end caps tear when handled too much..)

I just got two of them...when he tried messing around with the threaded barbs included he screwed it in a little too hard and the flap on the adapter to hold it down bent a little...so it won't hold well...looks like those aren't very reliable so be careful with them.

I don't care if it breaks a little...I'll never waste that much money an on Eheim.

Hmm, looked at the poll results so far:

46 votes total
32 No problems
14 Some kind of problem (4 were very minor)

Might need to brush up on my math, but that looks like a 32.5% problem rate in the very limited format of this poll. Certainly seems like a less than stellar record to me.

I abstained from the vote, since I have no personal experience with the Via, but was interested in viewing the responses of those who have.

Although I know it's been done before, the pump problems rating idea is a good one. I think Hoot's old thread/poll that was up with several pumps listed and their reported problems ratios clearly listed (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188539&highlight=poll+pump ) was a fantastic idea. Although the amount of data input was limited, a new one could be started, and maybe be rated as a sticky for quick reference? It could certainly be a benefit to any forum members who want an easy reference when purchasing a new pump...

Last edited:
The via aqua is a $20 paper weight :D

I would like to see a sticky of something similar rmonster; my suggestion is that two or three different polls be started every 3 weeks for 3 different pumps. The sticky could just link to the poll for a specific pump (it would link to this one for the via aqua obviously). The only downside is it involves making a lot of threads. I dunno, just a thought.

my previous minor problem has developed into a noisy pump, I replaced it with a Eheim, It almost made it a year, though I consider it a good pump of you dont want to spend a bunch of money on a more expensive pump.

I had mine for over a year then sold it to a member here who is now using it. I used the rubber suction cups and strapped it down with ziptie, and there was only a slight hum that I could hear. The comair fan on my radiator was louder than the pump.

Back