• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Aqua- Have you experienced problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Via Aqua- Have you experienced problems

• Yes

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 60.4%
  • Yes, but they were very minor.

Votes: 17 16.8%

• Total voters
I'm up to over 3 months with mine now ... no problems ( but I have epoxy covering any possible source of leakage) and it's not audible over fans.

6+ months. The via's about a 10$ paperweight (shipped) now over at drsfostersmith.com w/ the free 5$ coupon at checkout :p

wilhelm310 said:
hey soja does that via aqua 1300 come inline from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ ?????

the entire package comes from there ... including all of their attachments. Don't use the barbs they give you though...go find something better from Home Depot and make sure you seal it with epoxy - or silicone if you don't want it to be permanent

i took mine apart and used lithium grease on everything that moves, it's nice and quiet now =) my only problem is that the housing has a small crack in one of the tabs that holds the intake onto the pump.

i am nude: Is lithium grease water proof? Or is there something better? I think that would be great for mine.

I have gone against everyone, and put brass barbs in one ( been doing it for a year without a problem ). I sealed them with Marine Goop, and also coated the outside of them too, just to be safe. I have also done a few other mods and got it pretty quite. I took the impeller shaft and rounded the ends so the shaft fits into the rubber holders with out a fight ( best mod i think ) If you dont do this, when you take the impeller out, the shaft doesnt go back into the rubber in the back of the pump right.

After taking the back off, I found a big open air space under the pump ( inside the housing ). I filled it with some rubber and that helped a little too. I want to find something with better thermal properties than rubber though.

Anyone have some ideas? I need something that is good at sound absobtion and can transfer heat.

I put a very small bead of goop around the housing too. Just enough to keep it shut, but at the same time I can still pull the Goop off and get back into the pump. ( already did it once, worked great )

I have to say the pump runs a bit hot ( needs to be fan cooled if used inline ).

Another idea I had... I just polished the impeller shaft with 1500 grit wet. Made a huge difference. Its now about as quite as my Hydor L20.

Last edited:
K1ll1nT1m3 said:
Another idea I had... I just polished the impeller shaft with 1500 grit wet. Made a huge difference. Its now about as quite as my Hydor L20.

hmm.. never thought of that..
how can u be sure that it was polished evenly (or does that even matter?)

Of course it is only a $12-$13 pump and most of us having problems are running the Via in-line. The manual says it should only be run submerged. So 60% isn't too bad, especially for someone just getting into WC.

Mine lasted 8 months running 24/7 and was virtually silent. It was still pumping when I shut it down, but it had gotten loud again. I bought two more last week, $26(USD) including shipping for two pumps. Not bad.

also remember the nature of voluntary polls will give you more responses in the negative catagory, as those who had problems will be more likely to vote. Self selection is not exactly a scientific method, but this is still a good reference. Just keep in mind that this will probably get more negatives than are really out there.

seamadan000 said:
also remember the nature of voluntary polls will give you more responses in the negative catagory, as those who had problems will be more likely to vote. Self selection is not exactly a scientific method, but this is still a good reference. Just keep in mind that this will probably get more negatives than are really out there.

:thup:

Well I was happy with my 2 Via's until today.....

I am redoing my cooling system to inlude a Promi Mach1. Water cooling the GPU & NB. Setup every thing. When to leak test ....

The first Via just vibrated ... pumped very little water.

Tried the second, same thing.

Took them out of the loop, submerged then into a sink of water.... same thing.

It seems that both pumps are having trouble getting the water moving. If I lifted the intake just out of the water for a second, then they started pumping properly.

I have had these pumps for a few years and have been in a number of configuration

- Single pump for CPU
- Dual loop with one for CPU and one for GPU/NB
- Dual feed a 3/4" from 1/2' Y in a chilled system @ -15 to -10c running 5 feet of 3/4" tubing
- Same as above without the chiller

So they have been thru alot. Time for the retirement bin ....

I've been running my Via Aqua 1300 inline for over 1.5 year with absolutly no problems. Its very silent too, my 80mm fans makes more noise.

Mine is annoying as heck. I was having problems getting it to start (took it apart, reseated the shaft) Massive problems with leakage (its now submerged) and now I have to continue playing with a res. More trouble then it's worth.

My VIA Aqua 1300 had worked wonders for almost a year beeing on nearly 24/7. I saw a link to the mod that quiets the pump down a little and figured I'd give it a try. I used JB weld instead of super glue and put it back together after the weld had hardened only to find out that the pump no longer wants to work. The thing makes tons of noise and does not pump at all. IF I let some air pump through the motor it will start up, running louder than before tha mod. I should have listened to the saying, if its not broke dont fix it :(

Sounds just like what happened to me. Time to get another pump since this one will now be unreliable!

Back