• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bananaman

Registered
lo,

I am getting and A7N8X mid next week and have read all the threads and from what it seems the Northbridge cooling leaves a bit to be desired so my first job before anytihng else will be to AS3 the NB, but i ahve also ordered a 4cm fan that i thought i could attach above to give just that be extra cooling (it was only about £3) but i realised i dont really knowe how i am goign to attach it, has anyone else done this, if so please help!!! even if you havent suggestions would be great

cheers

NANA

EDIT: by attach i mean attach to the top og the NB itself somehow

I thought of doing the same thing but at 197MHz FSB, the heatsink got so hot, I couldn't leave my finger on it for more than a second so I feared melting the plastic of the fan. Anywho, I picked up a copper active cooling solution from Vantec. I don't know where you'd find one across the Atlantic but here it is at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...manufactory=1453&description=&srchFor=CCB-A1C

~THT

I took off the stock Asus NB heatsink, it uses thermal tape, and it was only making contact around the edges! I have replaced it with a copper vantec cooler attached with AS3 (the one linked above). I put the Asus heatsink on my VRM's. Still burning in the system so haven't pushed too hard, but its good for 175Mhz FSB so far.

-Rav

fly fisher, it is just a ys-tech 4cm fan that i was goign to attach somehow so it looked like abb1's

did you do it with super glue??

i might end up getting a nre HSF for the NB, altohugh if i AS£ and 4cm fan it should be alright

->you guys have ScrapHeap Challenge right :)

Top Hat Theater said:
Anywho, I picked up a copper active cooling solution from Vantec. ~THT

THT, is that copper Vantec Iceberg cooler a drop-in replacement using the pushpins? Was there any modification needed to make it fit? I just ordered one today, not sure what to expect though. TIA.

hmm, so you used aluminium tape, have never sen that stuff over here in England. Will have to go searching.

Any other ideas on attaching, was thinking putting a couple of screws that would slightly self tap into the Heat Sink and maybe a dab of superglue to be sure, but dont want to mess abou ttoo much incase i need to RMA

NANA

Keep the suggestions coming in

No, do not use screws. You would only be asking for trouble. Aluminum Foil Tape you can find in any Hardware store. It is usually used for ductwork.
Abb

i will go and look for that today then :) , any chance of some more shots of your NB so i can see exactly hoe you did it :D

cheers for the help

NANA

Bananaman, I have seen a lot of fans "tapped" into the heatsink
(screwing into between the fins) the way your thinking, but the little marks would show.
You could also put some little dabs of silicone where the screws attach to help lock them in.
I was thinking of going the same route with a new fan, but the
copper Vantec was too good looking to pass up:D

Actually the fan on the 9700pro (made by ati version) is screwed right into the heatsink fins. You can definatly tell if you remove the fan later but it should hold with the right sized screws ;)

All I did was attach the Aluminum Tape on the flat side of the heatsink and then took a thin piece and wrapped it around the fan to secure it. You do not have to worry about it falling off that way, and it will not do any damage to the heatsink, and of course it is easy.
Abb

rush69 said:
would Thermaltake Crystal Orb be ok for NB cooling?

No, it will not fit. The dimensions of the Crystal Orb do not match up with the mounting holes on the board. You can still use it but you'd need to use something like Arctic Alumina/Silver Adhesive.

~THT

tihnk i'll go with the ALuminium tape, easier to remove the evidence if need be.

Wouild removing the TIM and putting AS3 in any way effect the RMA if something does go wrong with the board in general? Just wondering, havent had to RMA before, but ppl seem to be RMAing all ove rthe place

NANA

Back