• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Need For Anti-Freeze in h20 system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elite

Talking to my biology teacher he says, and its proven that Anti-freeze does not help water cool any better. If you want the best cooling performane in ur h20 system use a couple drops of water wetter and pure iodinized water. Anti-freeze should only be used it very cold temperatures. Water has Polarity which means it is very resistant to temperature changes. Anti-Freeze however only kicks in till the water's polarity doesnt help like lets say 10C or lower. If ur sysem is runnign that low then i recomend using anti-freeze, if not use pure h20 :) .

Ah! So that is why it is called “anti-FREEZE” but, ask your teacher about the battery effect. If your water block is copper (like mine) and your radiator is aluminum (again like mine) then you will get corrosion. Distilled water is the best and water is best off buy its self. But if you run your car in the summer with pure water, you will drain two things before the winter hits, water and rust (and lots of it).

You know there is a *huge* sticky that goes over all the data at the top of this forum. Good call tho from your teacher.

okie.. who told you antifreeze improves temps?

antifreeze = worse temps = min corrosion protection = easy to obtain
waterwetter = better temps = min corrosion protection = not so easy to obtain

Liss said:
okie.. who told you antifreeze improves temps?

antifreeze = worse temps = min corrosion protection = easy to obtain
waterwetter = better temps = min corrosion protection = not so easy to obtain

Not really. The temps with antifreeze will not be as good and both provide good corrosion protection. Any automotive store will carry both.
Check this out.

Not every store has it, maybe everyone by you. When I first tried it, I looked for two months, and no luck. Not Pep Boyz, not Auto Zone, not Napa....etc...

In a computer's watercooling system, really you can use either. My temps didn't differ at all between a small ammount of antifreeze in the mix and plain distilled water. It's when you add so much that it all turns green 'cause it looks cool, then it sucks, without doubt. Really, for the ammount of metals in our systems, you don't need to match the car's mix ratio, not even close.

Your teacher's quite correct about anti-freeze being inefficient in a cooling system for summer (or watercooling), especially at the 50:50 mix ratio. But that's what Water Wetter was invented for. However, there is a lot of corrosion protection in that thar bottle, and should not be rejected out of hand. Especially considering the price and availability.

You don't "Look" when you go into an Auto Parts store. You tell them what you want and they have it there within days.

Elite said:
...If you want the best cooling performane in ur h20 system use a couple drops of water wetter and pure iodinized water. ...
You'll be kinda hurting urself by using iodinized water there.
It will actually promote metal degradation.
I hope you meant deionized.

Back