• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled Cooler Master Case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scanido

well, after a few weeks of gathering info and checking out all of yer systems out I finally decided to take the plunge and build one of my own. I decided to go watercooling because my coolermaster IHC-H71 was too too loud at full speed so i had to run it off of the fan only connectors of my Antec PSU and that gave me terrrible temps...

All temps from 10 loops of 3DMark 2001 SE

BEFORE:
system --> 35 C full load
CPU ------> 58 C full load

NOW:
system --> 28 C full load
CPU ------> 38 C full load

It took me 4 days and I tell ya, I had a hell of a time! It wasn't that bad as i thought, maybe just squeezing that Black ice up there! As you can see I was very limited with space and I even had to trim down my power supply cage and sacrifice one 5 1/4 bay .

I went with the Eheim 1048 instead of the bigger 1250 because I didn't need any extra overhead and heat as I only plan to cool my CPU, besides the 1048 is plenty powerful enough for my application, and not to mention the size! I decided on just the Black icE pro instead of the Extreme or a heater core because, again, size limitations and I found it to cool quite effectively with the Panaflo combo. Lastly I found the ClearFlexvery think and of high quality.

Anyways, here are the rest of the specs.....

Eheim 1048
Swiftech MCW5000
Black ICE Pro
Panaflo 120mm L1A
1/2" clearFlex Tubing

:D

front.jpg

side_angle.jpg

top_view.jpg

side.jpg

Last edited:
i actually thought about putting it higher but then i was stuck on ideas. I guess its more of a top off line more than a fill/bleed line. After awhile it was picking up all the small bubbles though, I saw the water level drop a bit so i guess its doing its job.
Anyhow, if i i'm going to replace the water i'd take apart everything anyways, and that would be every 6 months or so.

Thanks for all your insights so far!

Don't get me wrong, that setup looks extremely nice and clean. Maybe so UV dye and UV light to spice it up even more but in terms for WC, it is great. Just hate to see your T is in the way and you cant use those pci slots and then of course T should be at the highest point. I use a small resevior and I notice that my res will empty like 1/2 after all the air bubble bleeds out.

Nice and clean, good job. I had a tight fit on mine too. Thank god for onboard sound and NIC, that saved me lots of space.

peace.
unloaded

Very nice. Can't help but notice the innards of the 110 are pretty much equal to my 201's case. May I ask how you secured the pump? Did you screw it into the bottom or is it just sitting loose?

Also- did you modifiy a top 80mm blowhole (like my atc201 has) to fit a 120mm fan with the rad beneath it?

FIZZ3
Very nice. Can't help but notice the innards of the 110 are pretty much equal to my 201's case. May I ask how you secured the pump? Did you screw it into the bottom or is it just sitting loose?

I've attached the pump with bolts and rubber spacers in between the case and the pump to stop any vibrations. I was surprised to find out the pump was not noisy at all. It is very quiet and doesn't vibrate too much. Oh yeah, i also had to cut a 120mm blowhole above but i tell ya that was the hardest part since i had to line everything up with the square 80mm blowhole that was already there.

EluSiOn
Don't get me wrong, that setup looks extremely nice and clean. Maybe so UV dye and UV light to spice it up even more but in terms for WC, it is great. Just hate to see your T is in the way and you cant use those pci slots and then of course T should be at the highest point. I use a small resevior and I notice that my res will empty like 1/2 after all the air bubble bleeds out.

About the PCI slot clearance, i think i have room for a couple cards since the tubing runs along the outer edge, its just hard to see in the pics. I do have plans for some UV dye, can't wait :D

Anyways thanks to everybody about your comments..

i put my "T" at the top of the case and use it to fill the system up, and i notice that i have very litle air traped in the system, because the water just runs down and pushes all of the air out of the top of the system. but this is just me, and i have my rad mounted verticaly not horiz like you do so this might make a differnts.

dagamore -> How did you ever get yer rad to mount vertically in this case? Maybe if you wanted to lose 3 or more of your 5 1/2 bays but i don't see how you would do it unless you really modified something in there. Any pics btw......

scanido said:
FIZZ3

I've attached the pump with bolts and rubber spacers in between the case and the pump to stop any vibrations. I was surprised to find out the pump was not noisy at all. It is very quiet and doesn't vibrate too much. Oh yeah, i also had to cut a 120mm blowhole above but i tell ya that was the hardest part since i had to line everything up with the square 80mm blowhole that was already there.

Interesting. Any chance of uploading some detail pictures of that pump attachment and the 120mm blowhole? I'm curious how exactly you did it. Thanks in advance.

Here you go. The rubber washers were from Home Depot. They're not the typical hard rubber ones but the softer kind to dessipate more of the vibrations. They work quite well as i have no rattling whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

pump_mount.jpg

blowhole.jpg

scanido said:
dagamore -> How did you ever get yer rad to mount vertically in this case? Maybe if you wanted to lose 3 or more of your 5 1/2 bays but i don't see how you would do it unless you really modified something in there. Any pics btw......

i did not use the same case, but i have it mounted on the outside ofthe case, right behind the motherboard side of the case about 1/2 inch away from the side of the case, and it is passive, ie no fans, not pics yet, waiting for my camera right now :(.

Very very nice. And that fan hole at the top is verry nicely done. Was that a holesaw you used?

Get yourself some blue UV dye and a blacklight and you got yourself one heck of a nice lookin rig.

What is the OD on that tubing? for some reason it looks thicker that 3/4" Maybe its just me.

Keep up the good work, and happy modding/cooling!

Iron Hawk
Very very nice. And that fan hole at the top is verry nicely done. Was that a holesaw you used?
Get yourself some blue UV dye and a blacklight and you got yourself one heck of a nice lookin rig.

What is the OD on that tubing? for some reason it looks thicker that 3/4" Maybe its just me.

I just took my time on the blowhole, i used an old CD as a template and I made sure i masked off any exposed areas. I had to measure many times to make sure everything lined up. I used a RotoZip and a dremel to clean it up. Its not perfect though. I think while i was cutting i heated up the metal too much as theres some whitish discoloration near some of the edges. Its just not visible in the pics.

So for anyone cutting aluminum you should take small passes and let the metal cool off a bit.

Later on I plan on getting some Blue UV dye and a red cold cathode. Hopefully soon

Thanks again to anyone who commented.... :D

scanido said:
Here you go. The rubber washers were from Home Depot. They're not the typical hard rubber ones but the softer kind to dessipate more of the vibrations. They work quite well as i have no rattling whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Certainly! Thanks for taking the effort of providing these pics. Very nice looking job indeed. :)

Back