• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daegon

I own a playstation (the origional kind) made may 2000 and i have this unstoppable urge to mod it... i have plans to cut out some of the metal casimg around the main board and add chipset coolers (passive like on mobo's) and cool the 3 main heat producers... any other ideas, or where can i find these heatsinks

they used to have replacement shells for the origonal PSX that were transparent blue, red and green etc....
you should try to track down one of those they were sweet

I would say to paint it some sweet color, maybe Chrome or a shiny black or red :) and then paint some flames to match it :cool:

Also you could consider putting in a window so that you could see the disc spinning.

And don't forget to change the LED's, especialy that ugly green color led.

Rip it out of its shell and pop it in your T-bird box. :D :D

Did you ever see the gamer box on the screen savors? They had a ton of consoles inside a pc case.

Not the same as having a PC and PS1 in one, but I just thought about it.

yeah, that was a ****ty mod. im thinking about cutting the big black X out of the top of my xbox and replacing with some lexan and two green cc's. but then i looked inside and all you can see is the top of the HDD and DVD, this calls for some drastic measures.

You can buy heatsinks from electronics stores. These sinks are designed to be used on electrical components etc and vary in size from pretty small to fairly large.

Why not just do the baseball bat mod, or car tire mod, and get yourself a playstation 2 or better yet XBOX, Whick kills playstation 2.

spoken81 said:
Why not just do the baseball bat mod, or car tire mod, and get yourself a playstation 2 or better yet XBOX, Whick kills playstation 2.

im sorry i have to disagree PS2 Whomps XBox as it may be faster but the games suck compared to the well established game line up of the PS2 so u do the math

i have a ps2 case here, probably in for a mod sooner or later;)

Cheers, Turando

if you decide you don't want to- sling it over my way, the postage wont be much for overland UK and then I can practice on the old chassis before messing with my beloved PS2 then. :D Only kidding- you go for it.

What do you have planned for it- just a mini-ITX mod or something a bit more special?

well. i have allready water cooled a ps2, i guess sub zero could be done. maybe re modeling a clear plexi case. lots of things can be done, just gotta get round to doing em;)

Cheers, Turando

my plans for it are actually pretty lackluster. I want to replace the power LED with a blue one, and put a window in the top, once i get around to measuring the top cd flippy upy dealie. And pop some fans on the sides, cut out parts of the metal protecting cover, and place heatisnks on the hot chips... not too interesting, but if i can find the spare time i can paint it.

Doesnt sound that lame- the LED is a simple enough job- just put a hot soldering iron on the current terminals, lose the old green LED and replace with blue- solder over the top.

The lid- all you need to do is drawround a CD or whatever shape you want it (round would be better- stay about 1cm from the edge of the lid), dremmel the hole- place a THIN sheet of plexi inside, maybe edge with some trim (but leave clearence for spinning CD's).

As for the fans & removing the metal plates- I havnt got any idea how to do it, but you would need some damn small & thin fans.

actually the fans shouldn't be any problem at all
the i'd cut out 40mm squares in the fins on the sides that allow for air flow through the case and replace them with 4 40mm fans, there's more then enough clearance on the inside to mount them, i'd probably use superglue to hold them in though, mounting would be a bit*h. Its not a lot of air but its enough to move the air around so the heatsinks can breathe.
i'll rip it apart and post pics for you so you can see it in the process.

crazy thought: is there any way to 'overclock' the psx? does it run on a clocked mhz system? i know nothing about how gaming systems work, but i'm sure somebody does. Pics are on the way... gotta eat.

UPDATE!!!
i took the psx apart and took pictures with my quickcam... pardon the horrible quality, but you get the idea...
PSX opened
CD reader and power supply
case with all removed but circut board
so you can see the insides (sorta) now. In the last pic the three largest chips are the main heat producers. Haven't actually modded yet, but i did remove the metal guard that is (not pictured) under the main board.
more pics will come, once i mod and find a good camera.

Hey, I ACTUALLY did something to my Play Station. I just put a window in the top, but this was before i really learned about the whole modding scene. It works great, and looks a hell of a lot better than it did before

By the way, before you gut the lid, pry the little play station icon out of the lid. it is really a 3-D sticker, and not molded into the lid. Use it in your mod!

Back