• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hack 9500 into 9700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just checking up, so far I have 3 members that have done this mod, Kid98, who modded by bridging with solder, diehlr, and LiGhTBoY, who both used Wizard's Software Hack. Any one else do this mod successfully?

lol....well I got my card, and took the hsf off (it wasnt stuck on hard at all) and used some as3. Once i get windows I will be doing wizzards mod. Get your keyboard ready Tip.

-JP

I got one comming next paycheck :p. I'mm gonna try the software hack first, and if that fails, the hardware. I am pretty confident in my soldering ability. :) I'll keep you all informed.

Koolance PC2-C Watercooled case
Epox 8K5A3+
T-Bred A 1800+
512mb Crucial PC2100
ATI Radeon 9500 w/Infineon 3.3ns

1) Stock processor @ 1.53 GHz/stock card....@ 275/540 =.. 9641 3DMarks
2) O/C processor... @ 1.83 GHz/stock card....@ 275/540 = 10627 3DMarks
3) Stock processor @ 1.53 GHz/9700 update @ 275/540 = 11016 3DMarks
4) O/C processor... @ 1.83 GHz/9700 update @ 275/540 = 12716 3DMarks
5) O/C processor... @ 1.83 GHz/9700 update @ 325/600 = 13329 3DMarks

Fillrate 1) 927.9 single/1103.5 multi
Fillrate 2) 928.0 single/1103.4 multi
Fillrate 3) 1538.0 single/2163.4 multi
Fillrate 4) 1548.0 single/2173.5 multi
Fillrate 5) 1749.1 single/2538.2 multi

I stopped at 325/600 only because I ran out of time last night. I'll be replacing the stock heatsink/fan with a Koolance waterblock and keep pushing the core until it cries. :)

Last edited:
The hack on my 9500 was succesful! I am now downloading 3d mark and will post my results like Creig after I am done running the tests. Battlefield 1942 looks amazing with the graphics setting on high ;)

Here is my score with 360/300, 12037.

3d score

All I did to this card was run the 9700 script, I haven't done anything else but overclock it. Mine has 3.3ns Infineon ram by the way.

Last edited:
I knew those resisotrs would be small....but when I looked at them in person they were smaller than I had thought. I mean REALLY small. Like 1mm or smaller small.

I would guess start using the 9500 pro pcb....but it will be interesting to see if they even care about such a minority performing these mods.

It could pose problems though when re-selling comapnies become involved. They might buy a bunch of 9500NP's for say $100 each, mod them, and then resell for $300 as 9700 pros. There would be no way to tell your were cheated.

-JP

I got my 9500 yesterday and installed it.... my whole system went to hell before I could even try the mod. As soon as I installed the ATI drivers, I got "Delayed Write Failed" over and over again until my OS was totally corrupted. Now I can't even get XP to install period with the ATI card in. I put my GF 4 Ti4600 back in and everything is fine. As soon as it's ATI'd, Iget bluescreens like crazy.

Epox 8K3A+ bios 2812, Tbred 2200+, 512 MB (2x256MB PC2700) Audigy, Intel 10/100 Pro, WD 120GB, Toshiba DVD-Rom, Aopen CD-RW .. was overclocked, put it to stock to diagnose prob.

I'm gonna try to figure out what the hell is going on tonight, but I thought you guys switching from Nvidia to ATI may wanna be wary.... I lost a bunch of data, and I'm certian it's the fault of the ATI card.

I've found this scenario all over AMDMB.com, and it seems to be caused by one or multiple of the following:

1. LargeSystemCache in registry set to "1"
2. Multiple IDE devices all set for UDMA access.
3. Bad cables

In my case, 3 is false, and 1 was true. I thought that explained it, but now it doesn't apply since I can't even get XP to finish an install. I've tried addressing #2, but that didn't help either, so I'm kinda stumped. So far, I'm not impressed with ATI. :)

I'll post the solution here if/when I find it... if anyone has any suggestions that would be cool. Then I'll post the results of the mod attempt on my 2 9500 saphire 128MB 256bit interface cards with 3.3ns infineon ram.

Did you format the drive? Thats usually the rule of thumb when switching from nvidia to ATI or the other way around. There are many driver interferences bewteen the two cards that can usually only be overcome by a re-format and fresh os install.

Sorry bout da bad new :(

-JP

Yah.. :-/ I did a full format and now I can't even get it to complete the dos portion of the XP install with that ATI card in. It'll either bluescreen or just reboot during heaving I/O activity. (cdrom->HDD)

Thx anywho tho.

Just got my system fixed..... Tried one of my two saphire 128 cards with Rivatuner's patch script.

Checkerboards. :(

Right across the middle of the screen.

NO LIFE said:
I knew those resisotrs would be small....but when I looked at them in person they were smaller than I had thought. I mean REALLY small. Like 1mm or smaller small.

Haha, those were my thoughts exactly. :D

I am going to try the software hack on my 9500 NP sometime this weekend. Don't know if I trust my soldering abilities on such a small piece of hardware, plus I gather that the software mod has had a higher success rate and is easily reversed.

TruckChase! said:
Yah.. :-/ I did a full format and now I can't even get it to complete the dos portion of the XP install with that ATI card in. It'll either bluescreen or just reboot during heaving I/O activity. (cdrom->HDD)

Thx anywho tho.

dude, that is your power supply all the way. look at the symptoms:

1. heavy activity shuts it down (both hd and cdrom drawing juice means the proc and everything else is too.)
2......well, only one telltale.

but that is an indicator of your ps not having the umph it needs to power that power hungry beast.

(did you plug in the molex to the vid card?)

EDIT:

Mine was having random reboots too, so I switched the psu out and it fixed it, so...

Last edited:
I was following these threads for awhile and decided to buy a Radeon 9500np 128mb from NCIX last week friday, its a revision 3 board with Infineon 3.3ns memory. Have done the w1zzard software hack and there are no artifacts at all. I tried q3, nfs3, ut2003, 3dmark2001 and a bunch of ATI demos including pipe dream and car demo. Memory overclocks to 610 and core maxes out on the Rage3d slider to 360mhz without artifacts. The core produces a ton of heat when overclocked to this level. I find my 3dmark scores to be inconsistent, jumping back and forth between 11500 and 12500 at default speeds. Before the hack I got 10100 points so this is a definate improvement.

I am thinking of making it a permanent 9700 by using some rear defogger paint to connect points 1 and 2. I am not comfortable with the thought of desoldering and soldering a 1.5mm resistor that can be easily killed with little heat.

Has anyone had success with modding with a Rear defogger repair kit?

Cheers,

CizMeyeAzz

Back