• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hack 9500 into 9700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
HeXenViRii said:
is there a way to only enable 6 pipelines and see what happens ? :D

Unfortunately no, not that I know of at least... all these hacks are doing is tricking the driver into thinking the card is a 9700. The hacks themselves aren't responsible for "opening up" the other 4 pipes, they just change the device ID.

MeyeAzz!!!

You missing the point here man lol. If you have done the soft mod and you get bad results doing the physical mod will only void your warranty. The reults will be exactly the same. And where can I get riva guys?

My friend downloaded the software hack and flashed his bios, and everything's fine... Maybe your case where you get checkboard is because it simply didn't work to begin with... Cause you also had it not working when you first installed it right? maybe it shorted something...

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my 2 posts in the last 2 pages of this thread.

My Radeon9500 works great with NO artifacts with the soft mod. My concern is that using the Rear defogger repair kit might provide too much resistance for the current to change it's path of flow, thus resulting in the device id being unchanged and the extra 4 pipelines still being disabled.

Does a Rear Defogger repair kit act like a resistor or will it allow the current to flow freely?

thanx in advance

Cool:)

Thanks Digital Pimp,

I'll give it a shot over the weekend and hopefully all should go well.

Augustwest,

I just wanna make it a permanent 9700, and void the warranty:D

I'll be keeping this card for quite some time and don't want to bother with the software hacks,

Cheers,

CizMeyeAzz

I just recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon 9500np 128mb and soft hacked it as well with Wizzards... everything runs fine for me... i guess I'm lucky this time... 3d mark from 9800 to 11000 (approx) this is with stock clock on my system:

Athlon XP 1900+ (palimino) @ 1.67 Ghz
512 meg MaxKing PC2100

I'm going to try the ATI DX9 demos and post afterwards... as well... anyone know what to use to OC the Radeon clock? as of december 01, 2002 all the software tweakers could not change the Radeon 9500 clock without doing a 9700 bios flash... as told from a web site I surfed to... Thanx

!!!WaZZaBi!!!

I just tested out all the DirectX 9 demos and all seems fine and well I guess I got a prefectly good R300 chip served to supply the Radeon 9500 demand :D but... I myself do not know exactly what counts as an artifact... I don't see blue dot or any checkerboard design... but I do see the wire frames that the textures are drawn on occasionally when rotated a certain way... sort of like looking at 3D objects at a bad angle... the texture doesn't cover the whole object and it seems like there is a small see through "hole" that you can see the wire frame from within...
is this an artifact or is that just texture not covering at a bad angle...

!!!WaZZaBi!!!

before...

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 891.4 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 1107.3 MTexels/s
(270/270)

3DMark2001SE score = 9800 (approx)

After...

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 1527.9 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 2146.2 MTexels/s
(270/270)

3DMark2001SE score = 11000 (approx)

and some fun...

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 1682.1 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 2339.5 MTexels/s
(300/300)

3DMark2001SE score = 11500 (approx)

Unfortunately it is obvious that my scores are held back greatly by my processor... I'm waiting for my 512meg MaxKing PC2700 to arrive to see if I can push my 1900+ any farther... I've seen that it is using a 2100+ palimino core before thoroughbred took over...
forgot the stepping code... too lazy to remove sink heh... :D

Well something strange happened to me tonight. I've been running my 9500np with wizzard's drives and o/c'd with rivatuner 350/300. I havent had any troubles or artifacts. btw I used the 92c drivers of wizzard. I never installed ATI's control panel until tonight. I installed it thinking I might wanna use second monitor or TV outs. After installing strange things started happening...screen would blink dark opening a menu, black refresh line scroll down the screen sometimes, a hard crash opening IE, none of my openGL games will run... So I uninstalled control panel, reboot, same troubles. Uninstalled driver, reboot, reinstall drivers, everything back to normal. Anyway I was wondering if anybody else has had these troubles? I'm thinking now that the driver hacks are great for testing if you got a good card, but a lot of features can't be had using this method. I'm planning on doing the defogger/bios mod now and using unhacked drivers. I'd planned on doing this eventually so I wouldn't haveta wait on new versions of drivers being hacked. Props still go out to wizzard and unwinder, but I'm gonna go with warp's setup. I'll post results on all the extra functionality after mods.

peace.
unloaded

I don't know if this helps ya but when I first tried the soft mod I had already installed the 92c drivers and control panel for winXP and then when I tried to reinstall the 92c hacked drivers when I rebooted the drivers themselves would fail and winXP had to replace it with a generic VGA driver... being very annoyed with the 60Hz refresh I went back to the old original drivers without even doing any testing cuz it was pretty obvious that the 92c drivers do not work that well and pretty much after reading the posts may be one of the reasons why peoples first trys with soft hack didn't work... I use the 93c drivers + hack now that are on wizzard's site and they work perfectly including control panel...

Back