• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twist

Pics:
caseinside.jpg

Inside of my case. Just used twist-ties to neaten up.

casefront_flash.jpg

Only changed the green power LED to a red LED.

caseposition.jpg

This is my main problem, where/what to mod?!

My problem is this: what do I mod? My case seems so boring, and I want to mod it. Since I have my computer under my desk, and on the left, so you can't see the door, or the top. WHAT TO DO??!

heres what i did to mine. I painted it blue and silver, i added a 120mm blow hole on the top, a side window, switched the leds to blue and green, put a 12inch CC in it, and was thinking of putting led fans in.... good luck!

Did basically the same as The Spyder. Custom window, 5.25" baybus, dual blue 12" CC's, changed out every LED on the system to blue, top 120 mm blowhole, wire loom to organize the cables, and painted it metallic silver. Will probably do a circuit of 6 blue LEDs to light up the bottom front where the air comes in.

Mod your keyboard instead, I painted mine orange
what are you really gonna see more the case or the keyboard?
and when your done with the keyboard you can mod the case to match.

Since the computer is on the left side, you could stick a window in the top of it and then on the TDK as well...

If it was me, and I had nowhere else to put the computer.. i would mount the TDK upside down and turn the computer on its top in order to see a side window... but I'm weird like that... :p

i would just move the computer to the other side :D that would work well i am sure... at first, i thought that was a picture of my computer then i realized that yours is a white case, doen't have the extra drive cage, and has no cards in it :D

yours:
caseinside.jpg

mine:
inside_case.jpg

you have the intel d845gbv too?

Last edited:
mbentley said:
i would just move the computer to the other side :D that would work well i am sure... at first, i thought that was a picture of my computer then i realized that yours is a white case, doen't have the extra drive cage, and has no cards in it :D

yours:
::cut::

mine:
::cut::

you have the intel d845gbv too?

Actually, yes, I do have the d845gbv!! :eek:

Captain Slug, thats good advice...now why didn't I think of that?!

I have this thing about modding tho, I'm afraid I'll screw-up my case and I don't want to have to buy a new one!

Twist said:
I have this thing about modding tho, I'm afraid I'll screw-up my case and I don't want to have to buy a new one!

That's why proper and comprehensive planning is important (that measure twice cut once thing that everyone talks about). The more you prepare and refine your actual the plan, the easier it will be to execute (and your finished mod will look alot better).

It's easy for me to tell which mods took the most fore-thought and planning. The difference between an amateur expression and a professional looking piece of work is how much effort was put into designing the end product before any work was actually started.

But, this is where that ever-pursued virtue of patience is required. :)

i plan a lot of stuff out... i could probably use a little more, but what i really need is some decent tools to use for mods... that's what really would worry me... a lack of decent tools can make all that planning go down the drain :) it's like having the smartest engineer in the world with all the materials in the world, but no tools to make anything...

mbentley said:
i plan a lot of stuff out... i could probably use a little more, but what i really need is some decent tools to use for mods...

My tool bench:
- Variable speed Jigsaw
- Variable speed Drill
- Orbital sander
- file/rasp
- Black & Decker RTX (much sturdier than a Dremel)
- Huge set of screwdriver bits
- Exacto knives
- Lots of Spray paint
- Soldering Iron

for some projects I borrow a Table saw or Band Saw but the above listed tools can do just about anything I need to. Remove any of those and it would become rather difficult for me to accomplish anything.

dammit, you jacked my case. I want it back. I have the EXACT same case as that. right down to the PSU. Oh yea, the one thing i'm missing is that little sticker you seem to have to the right of your mobo.......

Anyhow, since yoiu can't do a window, try a few other things....

First, try stealthing the CD rom.....(*******, I have a TDK too)....I dunno how easy it will be, with the set spacing of the drives in that case. You may have to remove the entire face plate of the drive.

Painting is always a good option.....I would also put a window on top with a blowhole. The grill on front is fertile ground for modding.....you can replace it with something else, or I would put a CCFL behind it for a cool light effect....I think there's enough space between the plastic and metal to fit a CCFL.

Dave...you stole my setup!! :p

Anyways, you know that sticker spot on the front panel? I was thinking of maybe putting a digital thermometer in there, with the sensor for it leading into the inside of the PC...

try something with the front, like cutting it out and replacing with an aluminum grill :) and place some lighting behind it, i have a u-shaped blue cathode behind my custom made grill, got it off ebay

Back