• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changed my block (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass

my old holddown was reaaally bad, and i wanted a copper based block, so i got myself a new one with integrated holddown(to the 4 holes), as i seriously needed to do something about the temps my tbred-a was going to(load 50c+ in the insocket..)..

7.jpg

the old block is the one on left in this pic, the new one is on the right, it's copper bottom with alu-top(am i worried about it disappearing? no).

the block on the left(old) costs 24€($) without holddown.
the block on the right(new) costs 38€ and needs no seperate holddown.

the old and new block share the same top-attachment screw configuration(and afaik are internally identical), so maybe someday when i'm reaally bored i could do some testing, see whats the difference in temps.. also, if the holes disappear from motherboards i can switch the top from the all-aluminum block and use some new holddown.

the blocks got some sort fo maze in them that the company calls 'SingleFlow' (as opposed to DualFlow in their high end p4 block), haven't checked the form yet(i don't have the proper head for my screwdriver).

after some serious screwing the nuts.. by hand&with screwdriver to keep it still, and one additional 5v mod soldering..
and with everything back in case:
10.jpg

am i worried the hoses get loose? no i'm not. they're very tight fit, theres a short bit of smaller tubing over the nip that the larger tubing goes over. yes the tubes ain't very clean but thats what 2y+ of open bucket cooling gets you(and i don't care that much of it).

load temps at ~36c now. :) (water is 22c, and stays so, open ~24l bucket with ~15cm fan blowing on the water) happy camper.

few more pics at http://jussila.adsl.netsonic.fi/~glass/kuvat/water/
including some pics of the blocks bottom.

the screws/nuts were plastic, i might look for metal screws sometime. the nuts came with springs though and the installation was a breeze.

Nice.

2 comments, maybe more from a "purist" point of view:

a) your hoses might tug on the block, leaving it tilted on the CPU.

b) your mount doesn't meet AMD specs: it should apply a clamping force longitudinaly over the core (but hey, who really cares about what AMD specs are?)

very nice and very clean work especially your system is loaded with 5 PCI card, 3 HDs and 1 CD/DVD Rom (From what I can see in the picture)

yes it's 5pci, 1 agp, 3hd's and cdrw.. i'd have my dvd-rom in there too but i don't have free ide.

very easy to keep clean install when you don't have extra stuff in the case, i'm sure it would be more messy with with closed loop system installed in case. the case is _the_ cheapest i could find but it's very good for the money :) the reflective stuff you see is for noise dampening(and blocking the fan hole, i don't want it to suck air through there, rather from the bottom of the sidepanel so that it travels through most of the case before exiting from psu, also lot of hd whirr escaped through that hole).

there's enough room still for incase install though, but i doubt i'll be doing it anytime soon, i'm not moving the computer anywhere(who needs lans when you got 100mbit socket on the wall.. *grin*).

the hoses dont tug or pull on the block(the block is very stiffly in it's place).

all and all i'm very happy with the new block :D

gotta see if i can pull the overclock a bit higher though(the motherboard is becoming a limit.. and vcore mod on this would be a b****)..

looks great! Nice top, its good to see more original blocks around here, other than the plain boring square or copper.

Back