• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to calculate cpu wattage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try doing a search of the forums. At one time, there was a program you could download which would calculate the watts of your CPU (based on CPU type, and overclocked FSB speed/CPU voltage). I think the name of the program was something like "New Watt". I'm not sure.

You can get a lot of info from amd tech docs, like this one.
To roughly calculate your wattage when over- or undervolting, just find your cpu, divide given wattage by default voltage, and multiply by new voltage.

If you have a palomino, use this techdoc.

and here are more docs.

assuming a linear relationship between mhz and powerconsumption, you can do the same with clockspeed.

so a 1800+ palomino running at 1800mhz and 1.85V would be:

(((66Watts/1.75V)*1.85)/1533mhz)*1800mhz = 82W

Last edited:
brand me lazy, but where in the tech docs can i find wattage? btw my cpu is a T-bird
look down there\/

it's 2-3 pages past the cpuid bookmark.

edit: for you it's the thermal design bookmark in this doc I think.

so your wattage would be (70.5/1.75V)*your voltage

Last edited:
The Coolest has a great prog called New Watt, as Edward said just try doing a search because I'm pretty sure the link is somewhere on the forums.

Just go to this website, it calculates your overclocked/overvolted wattage, list the stock voltage for basically all chips (AMD and Intel) and it has a C/w calculator...plus you don't have to the math yourself.

EDIT: err, I forgot the link... http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

Last edited:
HERE is the link to the NewWatt3 program written by Coolest. It has a built-in database of the default voltages and wattages for almost every CPU (both AMD and Intel), so you do not have to lookup this information. It will automatically read your current CPU speed. You only have to enter the CPU voltage, and it will then calculate the actual wattage of your CPU.

Check out the burn in module of Sisoft Sandra 2003. If you turn on the graphing option it will calculate the min, ave and max power and thermal resistance for your chip. It will also graph your temps during the burn in. :cool:

Back