• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conversation with my buddy from nVidia (re: NV30)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruc1fy

I have a friend who works on the 8-man board layout team at nVidia. This is all unofficial, but here's what he had to say:

The FX will be on sale by the end of the month (early Feb. at the latest). As has been reported, only about 1/5 of the chips work (because of the .13 micron problems). As such, they have been scarce, but are now in production.

The CEO of nVidia wants one thing - to crush ATi. Evidently, the FX is up to the challenge.

nVidia works closely with idSoftware in the development process. Every version of DOOM III has been handed to nVidia for testing. The NV30 performs phenomenally.

Anyway, that's about it. Hold on to your butts. This card is going to fly.

Interesting if true- the .13 micron thing may not bode well for it unless they work things out.

Good to know they will finnaly get it out so 9700s will have to drop in price :D

well they might crush Ati, but 1/5 doesnt sound very profitable, and shows that they still have major production problems...

cool, ATI must DIE... lol.

Seriously, I've got a question maybe you can run by your friend. I heard a rumor that all FX PCB's will be produced my MSI regardless of who assembles and sells the card. Any truth to this (rather outlandish sounding) rumor?

Supposedly, they're looking at having all the boards made by MSI or possibly Leadtek initially. Once the other companies have learned the tricks of it after it's been out a time, they'll let them build their own. Sort of like I understand ATI has done.

cruc1fy said:

The CEO of nVidia wants one thing - to crush ATi. Evidently, the FX is up to the challenge.

Anyway, that's about it. Hold on to your butts. This card is going to fly.

Muahahahahahahahah...hey evnas...ya here that? What? No word from the famous NV basher??

oh yeah... once more thing

The FX takes 85 Watts! heh... hence the HDD/CDROM power connector (since AGP only puts out 65). Pretty funny stuff.

Also, he said that the way they are doing the cooling (with the whole two-slot heat piping deal) is absolutely the best method short of liquid cooling

Did your friend mention anything about the $599 tag or is it speculative, perhaps higher but who knows for sure?

599 is a bit of an insane price and unfortunately will make me think twice about fx, i highly doubt they would go that high, just my opinion :eek:

Overclocker550 said:
Did your friend mention anything about the $599 tag or is it speculative, perhaps higher but who knows for sure?

I didn't ask about price. I'll call him later tonight and see if he knows.

Given that they simply want to "crush ATi," I doubt they'll charge 600 bucks.

Until Nvidia decides to give UNRESTRICTED access to the FX for benches, talk like the above will be only that. Talk.

Re: Re: Conversation with my buddy from nVidia (re: NV30)

krag said:

Muahahahahahahahah...hey evnas...ya here that? What? No word from the famous NV basher??

Sorry, i was at school taking a test :D

And sure, i bash nVidia, but i do for their poor business decisions, not their products (in most cases...MX line on the other hand....). There have also been more then 1 person to leave nVidia for ATi because of their business decisions...so im not the only person who doesnt agree with them (and by leave, i mean that worked for nVidia, not fans, heh).

Also, he said that the way they are doing the cooling (with the whole two-slot heat piping deal) is absolutely the best method short of liquid cooling

And according to the NV rep that was at HardOCP's [H]ardWorkshop thing, its required for 500Mhz opperation. Have fun overclocking :)

"Given that they simply want to "crush ATi," I doubt they'll charge 600 bucks."

so Nvidia will eat their losses to win customers? I had the impression they wanted money and they also know customers can get the geforce4 instead?

as for overclocking, I doubt the core would do even 520MHz without artifacts, clock it higher and u fry teh card. If anyone is gonna OC, they should try the ram, this is where it really counts, plus ram makes much less heat, I bet they can get a good 50-100MHz out of that

lol you guys would oc the space shuttle.

I agree with the people that say FX will have to price itself in proportion to 9700 to feasibly "crush ATI". If it's 50% faster it can demand 50% more money, but at $300 for ATI's best, FX will have to cost $450 to be competitive. I think it's safer to assume more like a 25% overall improvement (and even that is yet to be seen) so "crush" prices will need to be, well, almost affordable! $375 is still a lot of dough. Considering that this card is six months old by original schedule, it "should" come out at a moderate price. I'm rambling, sorry.

Back