• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a7n8x support bartons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

Might be a stupid question but does anybody know if the a7n8x will support the bartons when they come out?

Sweet, glad I won't have to buy a new board when I upgrade:)

IceMan3928 said:
if they are to support the barton they will require a 200MHz FSB, if thats true then how come i can only get 185MHz on mine?

Wrong. Bartons will run 166 MHz FSB. AMD has not announced any 200 FSB CPUs yet. There is only a rumour that they might, but they are probably still evaluating it. We might see them, we might not.

So yes, A7N8X will support Barton.

"if they are to support the barton they will require a 200MHz FSB, if thats true then how come i can only get 185MHz on mine?" - IceMan3928

The new beta 1002 bios goes clear up to 250mhz FSB.

IceMan3928 said:
oh, i thought it was official that they had announced 200MHz CPU's, well darn... I was hoping that Asus was holding out on me and planned to open it up all the way to 200 with a BIOS update ;)

You can set up to 250 MHz, but the board won't run that high frequencies. If you look at ASUS home page and product description, it clearly states the board supports 100/133/166 MHz FSB frequencies. It does not state it supports 200 MHz. No AMD motherboard sold today supports that officially, even though you might be able to run some of them at that frequency.

IceMan3928 said:
if they are to support the barton they will require a 200MHz FSB, if thats true then how come i can only get 185MHz on mine?

You are likely being limited by either your CPU or vcore or both . 1.9 Ghz is a very respectable clock speed for a 1700 Palomino or T'bred A .

IceMan3928 said:

get a newer bios. I've gotten mine to boot with a 211MHz FSB. I haven't tried to hit 250.

get a newer bios. I've gotten mine to boot with a 211MHz FSB. I haven't tried to hit 250.
Getting it to boot is one thing, getting it to actually run something is another thing.

Scott

Hang on, i thought the reason people couldn't hit the high fsb's 200+ was because of the non-pci/agp lock? Arn't these preasent on the A7N8X, if so, how come were not seeing people with massive fsb overclocks 220+? I know most of the Tbred A's and B's can do over 200fsb easy so whats going on, am i missing something.......i was all set to get this motherboard and now i just get the feeling people have hyped the nforce2 boards up too much and their not performing to peoples expectations.

Please give me hope!:(

MDA.

MDA said:
Hang on, i thought the reason people couldn't hit the high fsb's 200+ was because of the non-pci/agp lock? Arn't these preasent on the A7N8X, if so, how come were not seeing people with massive fsb overclocks 220+? I know most of the Tbred A's and B's can do over 200fsb easy so whats going on, am i missing something.......i was all set to get this motherboard and now i just get the feeling people have hyped the nforce2 boards up too much and their not performing to peoples expectations.

Please give me hope!:(

MDA.

PCI is locked at 33 MHz, AGP follows the FSB unless you set it to a specific frequency like 66 MHz in BIOS.

The nForce2 boards seems to do some 185 MHz with stock setup. After that you're getting into north bridge problems like overheating and lack of Voltage. The 220+ FSB people are often Epox users with a Voltage mod for the north bridge. Some reaches 200+ MHz without this, but often with better than default cooling on the north bridge.

scott123 said:

Getting it to boot is one thing, getting it to actually run something is another thing.

Scott

It does run like that. I burned in the processor all night and it was running strong. It sometimes freezes in 3D games when I have it set that high, though, so that's why I'm at 195*12.5. I haven't tried maxing out the stock voltage yet, though, so you never know.

Back