• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conversation 2 with my buddy from nVidia (re: FX Pricing)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruc1fy

I've been seeing a lot of speculation regarding the initial price tag of the GF FX, so I gave my buddy at nVidia another call (again, I have to say that is this UNOFFICIAL. He is one of the 8 guys that designs the graphic cards' circuit boards, not a marketing employee):

me: Hey, man, I have another question for you. How much is the FX going to cost when it comes out? People have been saying anything up to and including 700 bucks.

him: no way. I would bet on between 450 and 499 initially with a drop soon after.

me: what about 256MB versions?

him: the Samsung DDR-II is so hard to come by that I don't know if 256MB versions will be availible for a while. It's up to the card producers, really. If they do make them, though, they will be so rarified that you can expect an ultra-premium pricetag.

so there you have it. Around 500 bucks initially with a drop soon after.

you know were going to expect you to talk to your buddy and hook us up when they come out right? :p

seriously though, people talking about $700 was nuts. there's no way they would release it at that price. resellers on the other hand just might try it (watch ebay, i'll bet you'll see them going to $1K+ for the first couple weeks they are out)

The only problem with that, is nVidia's MSRP means jack. If the companies can sell cards at $700, they will

john240sx said:
you know were going to expect you to talk to your buddy and hook us up when they come out right? :p

haha I already tried that. He said he can't even get one for himself, though they have a lot of NV28s lying around.

From lastest news (today) it is said it will come out as late as march-april. I would not even pay 300$ for the fastest one, I mean what is the point? I think that when it's April it wont be long until new Radeon comes out.

It's very risky buying anything imo.

1st: ATi just might really improve drivers/speed as they claim radeon9700 is only working 40% of it's true power.

2: FX and then r350 are coming out very close to each other

3: Prices, you can buy FX and then after a couple weeks r350 comes out and your cards loses it's value by 50%, cool eh?

cruc1fy said:

haha I already tried that. He said he can't even get one for himself, though they have a lot of NV28s lying around.

i wonder how much i could pick up a TI4200 for :eh?: i'm always looking for my next upgrade :D

ReDeeMeR said:
1st: ATi just might really improve drivers/speed as they claim radeon9700 is only working 40% of it's true power.

if the card was really that powerful why wouldn't they just release it at full power? i mean, why give your opponet a chance to steal a few sales before releasing the drivers to let the card run at max power.

ReDeeMeR said:
3: Prices, you can buy FX and then after a couple weeks r350 comes out and your cards loses it's value by 50%, cool eh?

that's based on whether or not the R350 will be faster then the GF FX. we honestly don't know what either cards specs will be. we won't know for sure until it's released. (it doesn't matter what anyone says, manufacturer's constantly change specs before the product is released)

john240sx said:

if the card was really that powerful why wouldn't they just release it at full power? i mean, why give your opponet a chance to steal a few sales before releasing the drivers to let the card run at max power.

Y bother with putting it out at full potential when half assed it beats the lastest and greatest from the competiton, and then wait for them to release their next card and then push up the performance to100%. It all has to do with marketing...nVidia has been doing the same thing for years.

Evnas said:

Y bother with putting it out at full potential when half assed it beats the lastest and greatest from the competiton, and then wait for them to release their next card and then push up the performance to100%. It all has to do with marketing...nVidia has been doing the same thing for years.

nvidia did same thing when ati released the 8500 I think. Released a huge performance boosting set of drivers right at release time. IMHO the driver releases for the 9700pro have increased the stability alot but I have not seen huge performance improvements. It makes me wonder if they are saving a little something up their sleeve.

Deathknight said:

nvidia did same thing when ati released the 8500 I think. Released a huge performance boosting set of drivers right at release time. IMHO the driver releases for the 9700pro have increased the stability alot but I have not seen huge performance improvements. It makes me wonder if they are saving a little something up their sleeve.

They also did it when ATi released the 9700 Pro (or tried, heh) by sacrafising a big chunck of image quality for hardly any performance

My magic crystal ball says nVidia is taking so long to do this becaue they are working on secret killer robots that are going to doom us all...Terminator style! :D

My friend who is a test lead at the nVIDIA redmond office said that it would probably come out at around $399. He says it should be way cheaper then $500.

Back