• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux and NTFS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've tried both ext3 and ReiserFS, and the ReiaserFS does seems faster. Then again, the ext3 partition has Red Hat and the ReiserFS partition has Gentoo, so its not a fair comparasion. But I'm not about to reformat to see if there's a noticable difference. If I remember right, the Gentoo installation instructions mentioned that ReiserFS is really fast at transfering files 4kb and below, but it is not as effecient as ext2 in terms of storage space.

Ext2 will eventually leave you high & dry if you have a power interruption durring a save/write.

Looks like RFS might have most of the small file benefits of Ext2 without the data loss risk. I think RFS is the route I'll take.

Audioaficionado said:

Libranet 2.0 created the swap as Ext2. Maybe that was the first thing that went wrong with that abortive installation attempt LOL. Knoppix also states that in the absence of a dedicated linux swap, it will create an Ext2 file environment within the swap file it creates on a FAT32 partition.

Well you can create a plain old swapfile on an existing filesystem and use that.

Sounds like what Knoppix is talking about in this case has nothing do to with swap, and everything to do with creating a file on another filesystem (fat32) and formatting the file with a Linux-friendly filesystem and mounting it like a drive.

In any case, no swap partition EVER gets formatted as ext2. They get formatted as Linux swap, which isn't a filesystem at all really because it holds no files. Note this is different then making a dedicated partition with only a swapfile on it, which is what you might do under Windows.

Mine is listed as Ext2 swap in Knoppix so I guess Knoppix likes it better than the FAT32 option because its a native Linux file system. Libranet had it listed as formatting option #82, Ext2/swap.

Looks like some of the docs I've been seeing are wrong.

Any how it seems to work better on a seperate 250Mb Linux partition than than as a Linux/FAT32 file.

Titan386 said:
Yep, it reads NTFS fine. You've got to have support for it in your kernel.

It can also write NTFS. But be warned: the driver is still under development, and is known to cause lots of problems, corruption, etc. From what I've heard, it appears to work fine until you boot in windows, and all sorts of trouble starts.

The read-only driver works great though. I've been using it for a few months with 0 problems.

To mount a ntfs partition, you do:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hd** /mnt/your_mount_point_here

Deffinately a quality post. I had never mounted a device before and i can now read my ntfs drive.

Back